Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
I hope you had a great day.
I plan to buy these items to cut bands. The last one is a target box, but I don't know which one to buy. I may start with a homemade one. "4" is for tying pouches. I plan to use simple shot premium black latex 0.7 mm for shooting dollar tree marble (15mm maybe?) and 3/8'' clay and steel balls. My draw length is only 73cm. I shoot OTT and use my cheekbone as anchor. Many people recommend 0.5mm bands, is it because it is more accurate for shooting really light ammo? Can I use 0.5mm simple shot bands to shoot 3/8 steel balls or 15mm marbles?
Thank you and happy shooting
Rectangle Green Wood Ruler Font

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wouldn't get that taper ruler or that band tying jig. They're aggravating. GZK sells one that's a solid piece with a cutting groove made into it. It's the best taper ruler on the market imo, and if you can find the old band tying jig simple shot used to sell it's great

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I would skip the target box and just get a basket from a big box store and hang a pillowcase in it. I get square / rectangular wire framed baskets with cloth linings (laundry hampers are a bit big but also work well) and use clips to hang the pillowcase. Many suggestions for making catch boxes on this forum.

The band tying jig will work but it's not the most convenient one around.

0.5 bands should be plenty good for 3/8" steel. I currently shoot 3/8" with 0.5 or 0.6 bands and they get going really well. In fact, it is unlikely that the 0.7 will get them going much if any faster. The 0.7 will be nice if you decide to try some heavier ammo while the 0.5 will have a lighter draw weight- easier to shoot longer and more accurate.

And like I said before, some people (like me) love the adjustable taper cutting guide and some people hate it. For getting started, this could probably wait. You'll save a few $ and get really close cutting tapers with an ordinary or quilting ruler. Cheap and easy to use. And you can always get the adjustable guide later if you get into this enough to know you'll be making bands for a while.

My best advice is to stay patient and persistent. Making bands ends up being pretty easy in the end but there is a bit of a learning curve and maybe a few frustrating evenings along the way as you are figuring it out.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I got a couple of baskets that were sorta like this one and used clips to hang a pillowcase in them. Pretty cheap and easy to get 2 or 3 together and I can set them out at different distances. A string across the front to hold spinners and a clip hanging down to hold cans and all set.

And this is just me- if you search the forum for "catchbox" you'll find many great ideas for simple, cheap, durable catch boxes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah IMHO
#1 Good choice of roller cutter
Make sure to keep your thumb on the down button or the blade will keep popping up under pressure.

#2 A3 or A2 cutting mat would be better
You will find the A4 too small after a while.

#3 Quilting ruler would be better
The adjustable ruler can be fiddly and frustrating for a beginner..... put mine away for someday down the track.😣

#4 Make a simple 2x metal clamp on wood blocks jig, adjustable if you're clever
Small jigs are very fiddly and awkward for man hands..... good for a trip bag.

#5 Make a target box/catcher (search "catch box")
Portables are good for day trips.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Imho adjustable taper ruler works prefect.
As said bigger self heal cut mat better
Work in clean uncluttered space with
good light
Be meticulous, if you think, feel
you can do something better then do!
Think about what you do, do what you think about.
When you shoot you concentrate fully, try to do the same when setting up,
Just my thoughts...
ukj

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Don't worry about the ruler, some hate it, some love it. I ordered one in the very beginning and still use it. It made cutting bands easy for me, there's lots of videos out there showing how it works. It's not rocket science. And get a bigger mat, A3 minimum.

·
Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
940 Posts
Band tying jig is better than claimed it's simple and works.... I use mine to tie all of my pouches and I have no issues unless I'm tying off tubes they tend to slip through the clamp part. The mat is good I use a long rectangular mat and will never need a larger cutting mat for whatever reason. I would recommend a straight edge over the taper ruler. Whatever you choose will work if you want it to! Happy shooting 👍

·
Registered
32 Posts
Number 3 on your list they suck ... never gets really good. Better to buy a real ruler or a tape cutting jig.

But the band cutting jigg is more difficult if you are a beginner as you do not really know what pull length you have and what tapers you will use. So start with a ruler :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why? I've cut 100s of bands with this thing, I have nothing to complain about.
I can not tighten mine, was equal to the first one I had. and that it is difficult to see the millimeter settings. However, once you cut, you press too hard and the multiruler moves.

Easier to just mark and cut normally with a ruler. Of course a band jig is the best ..

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I can not tighten mine, was equal to the first one I had. and that it is difficult to see the millimeter settings. However, once you cut, you press too hard and the multiruler moves.

Easier to just mark and cut normally with a ruler. Of course a band jig is the best ..
Movement is why I dint use it 🤯 band jg can't be matched like 👍🎯👌

·
Premium Member
218 Posts

But you did use the rail at the edge of the ruler and put your cutter with the slot onto this rail, didn't you? Or did you cut "freehand" along the edge?
Cutting mat Textile Flooring Floor Line

·
Registered
136 Posts
1. Get replacement disk blades too.
2. I think it is big enough for the job but I have A1 size so can't confirm my thoughts.
3. I like the cutting ruler. It works just fine and fits neatly away in my slingshot tool kit box.
4. Works just fine. Plus is it is very portable. Minus is it is a bit fiddly and you may need to clamp it down to something.
5. Make a catchbox. It is a fun project.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
You will need a 24" mat, build your own catch box like stated above. The jig is cheap but effective. I have one also and it's compact & easy to use with a couple pairs of forceps. I have other jigs, but you can't beat the size and price. I put a couple slashes in the underside to hold a knot to make the wrap & tuck easy.
Wood Wrist Personal protective equipment Recreation Grass

Cutting mat Wood Recreation Fashion accessory Carmine
Sports equipment Coping saw Bicycle part Gas Font

Tool Line Bumper Automotive exterior Hand tool

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Here's the jig mod -

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1. Get replacement disk blades too.
2. I think it is big enough for the job but I have A1 size so can't confirm my thoughts.
3. I like the cutting ruler. It works just fine and fits neatly away in my slingshot tool kit box.
4. Works just fine. Plus is it is very portable. Minus is it is a bit fiddly and you may need to clamp it down to something.
5. Make a catchbox. It is a fun project.
Thank you very much for the input.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts