Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Went out this morning to trim the natural forks I found yesterday a little bit. When I finished sawing one of the forks, I noticed that behind what I thought was the main part of the fork, was an amazingly smooth centre.

Here is it before..
IMG_0979.JPG

Here it is afterwards..
IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG

PS: the pictures are not of a good quality, the actual catty looks a lot better!

Cheers Luke

Attachments

·
500 Club
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha!
Thanks guys!! Can't wait to finish it.

Any suggestions on what to coat it with when I'm done?

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
Nice one, good work.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
It's kind of a nice treat isn't it with some branches, peel away the bark and you really aren't left with much that needs sanding.
It's a pretty white wood at the moment, left for some time naturally it might change color as my maple does but seeing you
want to finish it off quickly and shoot and band it maybe a stain of some sort? BLO will probably just turn it a bit darker?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Sorry, boiled linseed oil.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
linseed oil is awesome. depending on the tightness of the grain it might not penetrate that much and your wood will stay light colored. may just add a tinge of yellow to the wood and bring out some grain... if you have any pieces from the fork (something you trimmed off perhaps) try testing the linseed oil on that piece. Or screw it and just go for it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts