Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing MXRed's beautiful holly fork today, and after shooting with the one that Jump gave me (my first), and after shooting the ones that I have made -- I like the gypsy-rig style of slingshot best of all. Up until now, I was an OTT man all the way. I mean I have fun with all kinds and like them too, just like Smitty and Flatband. But for a serious slingshot, I thought you had to go with OTT. Period

But OTT can be a pain in the you-know-what sometimes. Trying to get the bands to track right is difficult with some slingshots, especially naturals. Also, if you want to shoot a set of thick tubes, like TruMark SS-T's, it can be very hard to get them to track right, too. And if you want to shoot chinese tubes with your OTT shooter, that's out unless you want to make a special rig to do it with.

I guess if you are firmly dedicated to flats, there's no problem here. But a guy like me likes to switch around a lot, and experiment would like to make a nice favorite shooter that can do it all. My "Pocket Buddies" were made to shoot chinese tubes (which I like a lot) and flats as well. But aren't so good for thick tubes. The only commercial slingshot I ever bought that could handle everything the way a gypsy-rig can was the Cougar designed by Joerg and made by Dankung.

But since I like making slingshots as well as shooting them, I want to make slingshots as versatile as the Cougar but a bit less hi-tech and more individualized. And of course I think wood has more aesthetic appeal than metal -- at least when I'm working it. . .

The gypsy rigs satisfy my love of natural forks over all others and also my love of versatility. I think I'll be making a lot more of them.

P.S. Mind you, gypsy tabs can be added to board cuts, too. I made my first one of these for Jump a while ago.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I have been haveing some simular ideas of late. Toomany different slingshot configurations to settle down on one type. I like the gypsy band from what I have seen, still need to see more pictures to see alternative setups. My lattest boardcuts are through the fork shooters with clamps for attaching eather tubes or bands. For me the through the fork bands seem to shoot more consistant.

Mike
BMA

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am going to try the tabs with a boardcut. I did try something different a while back. I made 2 short leather straps attached those OTT, and attached the bands to the leather. My thought was that the leather would act as a buffer reducing bandslap, and it would eliminate the friction of the latex against the top of the fork. In the end bandslap was worse.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Good post DH, I'd have to agree completely on your statements about the tabs. Yet, I'm relatively new to the world of slingshots and there are other attachment methods that I need to try (ex: spanish loops, tie down)

At this point in my slingshot crazed faze, the tabs are my go to attachment method.....and few make them work and look better than you and Jmp.

Regards - John

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I really like the look of Gypsy-rig and I love the one I got from jmplsnt, but for me it's either old school single or double slotted with flatbands or (I don't really know what to call the style) Natural Chinese tube attatchment, with tubes, A la Geko ..They are both quick to change and easy to make and since I shoot just for fun they are pretty much perfect for me.....someday soon I'm sure I'll break through the block I have and try to rig a slingshot gypsy style, I just keep waiting for the right fork to speak to me...or until DH browbeats me into submission..

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I think it can be very productive to rethink things once in a while, whether you have problems or even if things are going well.

I know tab connectors are generally frowned upon by modern conventional wisdom, because they supposedly rob one of precious draw. That need not be the case, at least not significantly.

I think many people's reticence stems from experience with adjustable fork extensions or regular forks drawn to different distances. People fail to note that they are shooting the same bands at the shorter draw length. The bands are under less elongation, so the amount of energy stored per weight of band drops significantly. The answer is simply to slightly reduce the band length to get the same proportional elongation at full draw.

Presuming that you can still draw a set of bands by the same elongation, you're only losing half an inch out of a 36" draw. I have seen a 24" draw shoot very fast indeed. If you can make a more reliable or more accurate slingshot with tabs, then why not?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I made a few gypsy-rigs and i have to say that they look and shoot very good. Even though i'm a convienced OTT flatband user i like

to shoot a gypsy-rig with tubes sometimes! I don't like to use flats on a gypsy-rig. I don't know why!

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ZDP: I'll never say tabs are better or more accurate than some other attachment methods. But I will say that I myself can shoot just as well with them as I can with other methods. What I will say is that they are the most versatile attachment I know of. (Also they suit my relatively low-skill level of craftsmanship
)

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
First, please allow me to state I have the board-cut gypsy-rigged slingshot Dayhiker spoke of earlier and it's one of the very few slingshots I shoot on a regular basis that I didn't make. I'm not a huge boardcut man but there is something about the design (not to mention the love and care poured into all of his slingshots) that make this one special. Bill, the last two times I've went out the only slingshot I carried was the one you made me. I've re-banded with Walmart 64/332 and it's deadly accurate and hard-hitting with this set. I'm not anti-boardcut, just a natural fork partisan and for me to leave all mine at home and carry nothing but something someone else made is a big step for me. So good going DH.

For myself I will be making and shooting pretty much nothing else for the time being besides gypsy rigs. I know I am a shameless partisan and champion their use (along with natural forks) and I don't want anyone to EVER think I'm being clique-ish, for I'm not. The end goal of every one of us is putting whatever it is we choose as ammuntion on target downrange, not to aggrandise and not appreciate other's efforts. I do like my way (obviously) but also recognise it isn't for everyone. I respect our differences and will state for the record there are some Theraband lovers out there who could probably completely rip me apart in a competition......and that's ok. I just like making and carrying mine around and shooting rabbit-shaped rocks "hiding" in brush for preparation of the days when and if they ever return to my part of the Ozarks. To each his own.......

I appreciate the kind words from everyone who likes these, but remember I "based" mine on some made by someone in the UK selling on evil bay. The probably got their idea from someone else, and so on. I just have tried it and had it work, then shared it with everyone else. It's not my original idea but definately my pleasure to share. I'm no expert, just someone with a pocketknife and ability to copy something I saw on flea-slay a while back that has worked.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has traded or gifted me from this forum......there are too many to mention but I do appreciate your efforts. In fact, I'm working on a piece to send out right now.......

·
11,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jump,
If you like shooting that small, light slingshot as much as you do your own style of slingshot, that's saying something -- they're complete opposites. I'm flattered.

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
DH I like it enough to have laid back a few pieces of red oak pallet board and my jeweler's saw for my next hitch. I'm thinking of bumping up the size a hair on one and making another straight copy of the one I've got. I obviously am not a experienced board cut man but sometimes I think having something other than what you're used to can be both an eye-opener and give you appreciation for other ways of doing things.

I don't care how good mine come out they won't have the killer figure of the ash one.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
There you go Dgui, you won't find much better examples of the gypsy tabs than that of Jmplsnt's collection.

As DH and others have said, it really is a very versatile, jack of all trades type of attachment method.

Cheers - John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.