I wanted a new, flat-topped Jelly Bean to relplace the ply version I shot this winter. I didn't have a natural fork the right size and shape so I went to the woodpile for a chunk of Osage Orange.
It's a strong hardwood, but for insurance, I like to use my version of the Wombat (Kookaburra Katties) split frame build. It produces grain orientation just like a natty.
Estimating 22.5 degrees (estimated 90, eyeballed half that for 45, eyeballed half that for 22.5) and used a pull saw to make that cut.
Then I used the pull say to cut 90 degrees to the new cut face, opened the new pieces butterfly style and glued them up.
I traced my Jelly Bean on there and cut it out with a coping saw. Slow, I know, but satisfying.
My blank was almost an inch thick, and I had half that in mind, so I went back to the pull saw and sliced away again.
Surprise! I now had TWO usable blanks! the thinner one did have some punky outer bark on the end of the handle, but there was plenty of solid wood to work with.
A little filing, sanding and oiling and I'm ready to band 'em up!
70.5 KB Views: 4
174.1 KB Views: 15
179.9 KB Views: 6
164.3 KB Views: 6
211.6 KB Views: 9
97.1 KB Views: 5
80.6 KB Views: 12
68.5 KB Views: 4