Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
there seem to be a small bit of confusion as to the reason for this post? sorry i am no pro, one of my answers went like this:

the memorial is to honor Jays contributions to the sport.
Patty his wife has taken over the ECST in his place, and this year for the first time there will be a new trophy classification just in Jaybirds name, seperate from the ECST but held at the same time.

We are asking vendors or whom ever wants to contribute a sling or related item for sale. 100% of proceeds go to a fund to pay for the trophies. the items will be auctioned on EBAY, easy but alot of work.

thanks ALL. Shall we begin anew?

from "Jaybird" to all of us:
http://slingshotforu...__fromsearch__1
This is an unlisted link, feel free to share with whomever you wish. the ebay listings will be made in a day or so while all participants get on board.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from Patty Schott:
This morning at a little past 7:00 EST John"Jaybird" Schott passed from this life.He was my best friend,Soul mate.hunting buddy.He touched so many lifes.
Jaybird better know as "Jay'" to everyone that knew him.Jay was one of the most honest down to earth people you would have the priviledge to know.He was a caring and generous person.
Jay had a passion for hunting with these coonhounds him and I kept.He seemed to have a personal mission in life to try and get everyone he met to be come a slingshot enthusist.
Another passion which alot of you did not know was he was as adept shooting his recurve bow instinctively which he and I had affectionately called "Billy baroo".Anyone that watched Caddy Shack will understand why.He won too many shoots with this bow and took so many deer I would be all day recounting them.Jay was probably one of greatest instinctive shooters any one could meet.He had no problem and loved helping people to improve their shooting skills.
As a lot of you on here know he was a very intelligent guy that would jump head first into every endeavor that he would attempt not being satisfied at only doing things half way right.
Jay was humble that he did not advertise his accomplishments.
At the National Slingshot Tournament with just his little piece of wood slingshot. He shot the first and only perfect 50 score in the over 30 years the tournament was held.
I am going to be lost without him.
As per his wishes he did not want a funeral only a memorial service which will be held in North Huntington,Pa at the James W. Shirley funeral home Thursday June 16 at 11:00 am.
Jay had a letter he wrote about his departure from this life when he discovered his terminal cancer diagnosis.He wanted me to post it which I will do as soon as I get the help I need to do the posting I had in mind for him.Thank you to everyone that wished him well.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
an unknown observer:
We were shooting at Saltsburg Sportsmans, taking a break outside for a bite to eat. Jay pulls up and starts shooting the far targets on the practice range.
On to the 60 yard and Jay puts his 1st near the bull. Some guy totin his new Alpine, walks by and says "Nice- betchya you cant do that again!" not understanding that some trad guys are hateful accurate shots.
Jay puts 2 more in a very tight group with the 1st. The guy walked outta there pretty quick as I recall...
Jay to me seemed to be as smooth and effortless a shooter as I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from Nathan at Flippnout slingshots:

Chalice that has bee FlippedOut
Heart pine(salvaged from the original Sears/Robuck warehouse circa 1890- original old growth MN pitch pine)
Ipe and walnut with a black cherry burl palmswell.
Chair Wood Table Art Sculpture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
from Peter over at Milbro:

DESCRIPTION:

This stunning catapult is constructed from 2 solid brass outer scales, with a diamond wood centre core, and finished with 4 decorative mosiac pins.
PLEASE NOTE - The Diamond Wood may not be the same colouration as shown in this image.

Artifact Font Metal Sandal Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
and this lovely lady is a donation from Mr. Bob Fionda:
This is a natural I made from an antler of pine wood, totally made by hand with knife, rasp and sand-paper; I called it Troll and it's a unique piece of a collection I dedicated to the Spirits of Nature.
All the best, Bob.
Light Natural material Human body Wood Basic pump
Plant Wood Gesture Finger Tree
Wood Gesture Fawn Trunk Hardwood

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
If nobody has any objections I would like to donate this modified natural made from Rose Thorn,

It has a Honduras Mahogany spacer with Pau Amarelo plate and a thin strip of Hickory/Ipe to contrast the colours

The patch on the fork limb is just a gift from nature, its finished with satin Polyeurathane

Wood Vehicle Aircraft Toy Banana
Bicycle part Wood Bone Pipe Vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If nobody has any objections I would like to donate this modified natural made from Rose Thorn,

It has a Honduras Mahogany spacer with Pau Amarelo plate and a thin strip of Hickory/Ipe to contrast the colours

The patch on the fork limb is just a gift from nature, its finished with satin Polyeurathane

View attachment 18233
View attachment 18234
objections? i would have felt rejected if you did not add a bit of your brand of art to the auction, i also notice the inscription on the handle, a very well thought out touch, and i will add another beauty.
thanks Andy

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
This is great newconvert! Jay was a great guy, and selling these items to contribute to the trophy in his name is a great cause. Also, whoever wins these items will have some top notch gear!

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Life seems to be a boomerang itself, what you throw it comes back to a greater speed. I like seeing these acts of generosity.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
These are absolutely fantastic, first class donations. Alas, I will not be attending the East Coast Slinghot do this year, but I hope lots of forum members will be able to go. Even if you are not attending, any of these slingshots would be a wonderful addition to your collection, and the money's raised are going to an extremely worthwhile cause ... promotion of the sport of shlingshot shooting.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
To all forum members:

the EBAY auction to aide the John "JAYBIRD" Memorial Trophy Fund began this morning.
please view the topic and participate in any way you can, the idea of this auction is to Honor a man who was in a way a father to modern slinging. who Organized the ECST, and now we have the chance to participate alongside his wonderful wife Patty in keeping Jays dreams alive.

all Auction items are under the title "Jaybird Memorial Auction" plus any person having the inclination can give donations in monetary form, or donate a sling for sale as well as any other materials pouches? bands/ bandsets..........................

go to the original post and participate, i see many posters talk about attending the ECST, lets get on the topic and spread the word through introductions.let us know who you are so we can root for you.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts