Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!! .. I have been thinking and want to ask everyone a question .. I have noticed that over the last 7 years I have been shooting .. my release / pouch hold / the way I hold the frame ... and the way I shoot in general have changed many times .. like a roller coaster .. right whenninthink I have it figured out .. it throws me a curve ball lol .. the more I shot .. the more years that passed by .. the better every style got .. one of the most frustrating/satisfying journeys I have taken .. my question is .. did yours do the same ? Thanks guys !

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I am sure everyone passes from that phase, and with time, the changes in technique become less and less frequent, untill the technique solidifies.
The reason for that is that slingshot technique is not a solid, well thought out, and proven matter, as it is in archery. There are no instructors or official training bodies, so we have to figure everything out ourselves, hopefully with the help of other people, who also figured it out themselves....
Keep in mind that even in olympic archery, with all its technique known and written down, there is still room for a bit of personalization!

I personally went through all the styles, and arrived right where I started, but it was a journey that was absolutely worth it!
Oh well, there is one more pouch hold technique I want to learn, the way the Fei Hu master himself shoots, and I'll call it a day.....or not ????

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Ya last 3 years I bin stumbling around with shooting but it’s starting to come together I have the frame style I like got band length figured out and the best part hitting stuff I am aiming at not quite like u popping coins from the sky but definitely forward motion for me like u said u have to practice

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure everyone passes from that phase, and with time, the changes in technique become less and less frequent, untill the technique solidifies.
The reason for that is that slingshot technique is not a solid, well thought out, and proven matter, as it is in archery. There are no instructors or official training bodies, so we have to figure everything out ourselves, hopefully with the help of other people, who also figured it out themselves....
Keep in mind that even in olympic archery, with all its technique known and written down, there is still room for a bit of personalization!

I personally went through all the styles, and arrived right where I started, but it was a journey that was absolutely worth it!
Oh well, there is one more pouch hold technique I want to learn, the way the Fei Hu master himself shoots, and I'll call it a day.....or not
Thanks for your input buddy .. very true .. it's a journey that in the end we all have to figure out on our own .. and in the end I think its evolve .. or become stagnant

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya last 3 years I bin stumbling around with shooting but it's starting to come together I have the frame style I like got band length figured out and the best part hitting stuff I am aiming at not quite like u popping coins from the sky but definitely forward motion for me like u said u have to practice
Thanks for the input PB! .. yes I agree man .. it's all about forward progress .. and the more practice the shorter the learning curve .. I just have fun while I have a slingshot in my hands .. so much fun! :)

·
Premium Member
9,583 Posts
Just like you I've evolved but for me it's been out of necessity. Always shot kinda hammer grip- pinch grip. It started killing me cause of the arthritis in my hands. That's when I started looking for options and discovered the forum and found out about the fork supported hold.
That took care of that Until the pouch grip started hurting. I started using my nuckles to hold the pouch until Dan Hood did a video on the fist grip style. I've been comfortable with it for several years now. So if there's a will there's a way. Just keep shooting!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just like you I've evolved but for me it's been out of necessity. Always shot kinda hammer grip- pinch grip. It started killing me cause of the arthritis in my hands. That's when I started looking for options and discovered the forum and found out about the fork supported hold.
That took care of that Until the pouch grip started hurting. I started using my nuckles to hold the pouch until Dan Hood did a video on the fist grip style. I've been comfortable with it for several years now. So if there's a will there's a way. Just keep shooting!
Thanks for the words Joe! .. man you sure did evolve .. I have expiermented withnthat hold .. I like it for larger ammo ... yes that's right buddy !! .. just keep shooting

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
When I first started shooting slingshots, almost 10 years ago now, I was heavily involved with pistol and rifle marksmanship as well... and the inner stillness that you must achieve to be an expert shot with a firearm really seemed to have helped me become a very good shot with a slingshot as well.

Over the course of the last decade I've shot firearms less and less and the discipline that allowed for that "inner stillness" has diminished somewhat... and at the same time I've noticed that it's more and more difficult to shoot a slingshot at the level that I once did as well...

Soooo, what I did is I ordered a Air Venturi V10 pellet pistol to kind of supplement my slingshot shooting training sessions... The idea is to try and regain some of my former expertise and at the same time get some cross over benefit for my slingshot shooting.

I guess we'll see if the theory pays off in the upcoming SEST, because I'm starting practices now!

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, there are many factors besides the release and alignment to consider.... that "inner stillness" might be something to think about as well

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
For me the holding and squaring of the frame to the target and the pouch hold and release are the techniques that, when mastered, make it possible to go from one slingshot to another and still be able to shoot reasonably well.

I have wondered for a number of years now about how shooters will say that one slingshot shoots so much better than another. If the bands and pouch are decent it doesn't seem to make much difference to me when it comes to shooting.

I'd be curious if others feel the same.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For me the holding and squaring of the frame to the target and the pouch hold and release are the techniques that, when mastered, make it possible to go from one slingshot to another and still be able to shoot reasonably well.

I have wondered for a number of years now about how shooters will say that one slingshot shoots so much better than another. If the bands and pouch are decent it doesn't seem to make much difference to me when it comes to shooting.

I'd be curious if others feel the same.
Yes I feel the same ! Good points! .. very true !

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I have just started this journey, but let me tell you , I have done a ton of groping for a consistent overall method. I believe if I shoot another years I'll still be modifying something. Geeze I haven't even touched on matching bands to frame or balancing ammo with pouch and bands. Fork height? Width? Grip? All I know is how little I know!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have just started this journey, but let me tell you , I have done a ton of groping for a consistent overall method. I believe if I shoot another years I'll still be modifying something. Geeze I haven't even touched on matching bands to frame or balancing ammo with pouch and bands. Fork height? Width? Grip? All I know is how little I know!
Awesome man!! .. it's a heck of a journey for sure .. just take it in stride! .. there is more to shooting slingshots than just tying rubber on a fork huh buddy! :) .. all about the journey not the destination

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
SJAaz, doing a search for "Rufus Hussey" will give you an idea about how important all that stuff is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts