Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
ca stands for cyano acrylate

its the stuff commonly known as CrazyGlue

wether or not you think it makes for a 'nice' finish is ofcourse entirely up to you, it does however take a lot of time, and some practise

i would say acrylic laquer from a spraycan is easier, and just as nice, but thats just my (noob) opinion

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Ok cheers mate ,
Would super glue or gorilla glue work ?
Cheers
Reece
actually if you go to the tutorials section flippinout does a really great tutorial on the CA process! its one of the easiest methods to seal and finish any wood i have found, not to mention the fastest. and if you do it per flippinouts instructions, it will look as nice as the nicest poly finish. just think........ start to being able to band and shoot in 20 minutes. you would be surprised if you knew how many of the beautiful home made slingshots on the forum were done in CA!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Here are my findings so far on Super glue as a finish and keep in mind I'm learning still big time. The big advantage of super glue is it dries fast! Poly you wait on. I found that my board cuts look better with it than my naturals, but I think that may be due to the board wood being dryer than the nat's.

I apply it with my finger, and with a latex glove most times. Apply it in a well ventilated room or outside. Three coats of CA glue and I can pretty much call it done, poly (wipe on) 8 or so coats and a few days later and it's done.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
defiantly outside, just a few whiffs and you begin getting a headache, CA is pretty bad stuff!
I made a mistake the other day, and forgot to burn my initials, and date, in the piece, as I try to do. I fired up the burner, forgetting I had a few coats
of CA glue on it. I was bent over as the smoke fumes came up, it was like being hit in the face with pepper spray. Bad stuff indeed, be
careful.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I wonder if CA could be used as a sealer for oily woods such as colobolo, purpleheart, bubinga, and IPE (Brazilian walnut). These woods often cause grief when trying to use poly or linseed oil. The oil finishes seems to stay sticky. Maybe it would be possible to apply a sealer coat of CA and then several coats of oil finish on top? Anyone try this?

Cheers,
Northerner

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
defiantly outside, just a few whiffs and you begin getting a headache, CA is pretty bad stuff!
I made a mistake the other day, and forgot to burn my initials, and date, in the piece, as I try to do. I fired up the burner, forgetting I had a few coats
of CA glue on it. I was bent over as the smoke fumes came up, it was like being hit in the face with pepper spray. Bad stuff indeed, be
careful.
[/quote]wow! my mistake was starting the process as i walked out the door.......... a few whiffs almost knocked me out, i wont do that again!

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
I wonder if CA could be used as a sealer for oily woods such as colobolo, purpleheart, bubinga, and IPE (Brazilian walnut). These woods often cause grief when trying to use poly or linseed oil. The oil finishes seems to stay sticky. Maybe it would be possible to apply a sealer coat of CA and then several coats of oil finish on top? Anyone try this?

Cheers,
Northerner
after fighting my lignum, CA was the ONLY thing that worked for me, i just finished a purple heart cholita and it sealed and shined up well with poly, so the answer is yes!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts

Cheers,
Northerner
after fighting my lignum, CA was the ONLY thing that worked for me, i just finished a purple heart cholita and it sealed and shined up well with poly, so the answer is yes!
[/quote]

This is just to varify what Newcon says, there is Purple Heart, Padauk and Lignum covered in CA. does not get much oilier than this

Plant Wood Sculpture Tree Art

Just be carefull

Attachments

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I use a method of applying it with q-tips.

The q-tip has to be fully soaked before applying. I do certain parts with a drop or two and feather out where the finish meets an the area where it isn't applied yet. Apply a drop or two to the q-tip do another section. When I get the catty completely coated. I like to sand between coats because it is easier to get a smooth finish after the last coat. When I start applying a section it is important to get it on and smoothed out fast otherwise there can be lumpier areas.

I should make a vid of my application method as it does make for a thicker single coat than I get with the finger tip application method.

The q-tips often harden but I have several at the ready to continue on.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts

The q-tip has to be fully soaked before applying. I do certain parts with a drop or two and feather out where the finish meets an the area where it isn't applied yet. Apply a drop or two to the q-tip do another section. When I get the catty completely coated. I like to sand between coats because it is easier to get a smooth finish after the last coat. When I start applying a section it is important to get it on and smoothed out fast otherwise there can be lumpier areas.

I should make a vid of my application method as it does make for a thicker single coat than I get with the finger tip application method.

yes sir, it would be nice to see your method, i do it i entire coat at a time, both hands in nitril gloves, sand and do another, but the end result is very nice, doing it all at once lets me apply 4-5 layers in less than 15 minutes. final coat sanded with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper, looks great.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts

yes please do Rayshot, that would be very informative to watch. I use a method similar to Newcon but without the sanding in between, just spend a bit longer at the end, although i am hardly the master of experience. I've only done 2 lol

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Hi newconvert,

Do you start with 1500 grit or begin sanding with more coarse paper (i.e. 220) and work up to 1500-2000 gri?

Cheers,
Northerner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts