Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
I don't think it is a bad thought. As it is now I typically will post in the Trade Forum and start a dialogue with whomever is interested in my post. I see others 'homemade' frames on this forum that are out of this world that I would love to own and shoot. However I feel odd about reaching out to them to trade one of my rookie homemade slings. With that it seems like I should offer a nice commercially made sling for their equally nice homemade sling. That is where the dialogue comes into play. Perhaps my makery is better than I think it is so it makes sense to ask or be asked.
Perhaps a 'Homemade Trades Only' section takes the guesswork and uncertainty out of the process.
That is my 3cents. Mo

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it is a bad thought. As it is now I typically will post in the Trade Forum and start a dialogue with whomever is interested in my post. I see others 'homemade' frames on this forum that are out of this world that I would love to own and shoot. However I feel odd about reaching out to them to trade one of my rookie homemade slings. With that it seems like I should offer a nice commercially made sling for their equally nice homemade sling. That is where the dialogue comes into play. Perhaps my makery is better than I think it is so it makes sense to ask or be asked.
Perhaps a 'Homemade Trades Only' section takes the guesswork and uncertainty out of the process.
That is my 3cents. Mo

First my friend, do not sell your self short. I have seen a couple of homemades that you have created and wanted to reach out. But like you said didn't want to insult you with putting a number on your time.

Like I would offer someone a undone fork that I have found and seasoned. Had ideas of doing something with it but never ended up doing anything. Their is a lot of things that could happen with a section of its own. "Home-made trades only" I like it!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Overall this is a crazy friendly place that accepts every age and every attempt at makery, sometimes to a fault! I for one appreciate the folks that are good to point out when a home made might actually be dangerous to the user. You make another great point. Many of us have a stack of 'almost done' slingmakery. Sometimes we lose the inspiration and park it until another time that never comes. Maybe it is an unrecoverable blem that the artist cannot stand. I for one would have no issue trading for a killer frame that was dropped a few times in the shop. I am the Master of Drop, usually when I am buffing a sling and it flies out of my hand into the wall!
So now what?? Wait for more input from the Forum Gang and we'll find out if we are overthinking this??

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Overall this is a crazy friendly place that accepts every age and every attempt at makery, sometimes to a fault! I for one appreciate the folks that are good to point out when a home made might actually be dangerous to the user. You make another great point. Many of us have a stack of 'almost done' slingmakery. Sometimes we lose the inspiration and park it until another time that never comes. Maybe it is an unrecoverable blem that the artist cannot stand. I for one would have no issue trading for a killer frame that was dropped a few times in the shop. I am the Master of Drop, usually when I am buffing a sling and it flies out of my hand into the wall!
So now what?? Wait for more input from the Forum Gang and we'll find out if we are overthinking this??

True, a moderator may see this and some spark will ignite something. It's a wait and see at this point, but good note at least us two are interested.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I think these are all great ideas. The whole reason for this forum is to interact with other slingers. What better way than trading? There's no harm in asking. I recently offered a prototype frame to someone in a trade and was pleasantly surprised that they took me up on it. Fun!!!!
Ya just never know unless you ask.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think these are all great ideas. The whole reason for this forum is to interact with other slingers. What better way than trading? There's no harm in asking. I recently offered a prototype frame to someone in a trade and was pleasantly surprised that they took me up on it. Fun!!!!
Ya just never know unless you ask.
Yeah agreed, I just am loving the nattys these days. The hand crafted catty has got some soul in everyone I see on here.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Intersting thought. I see the "fishing" section hasn't had a post in 3 months.

Maybe start a thread in "Off Topic" or in the "Trade" sections. I think it would go over well.

I asked for trades when I first started and some of the top builders hooked me up. I can only imagine the disappointment when they received my end of the swap!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Intersting thought. I see the "fishing" section hasn't had a post in 3 months.

Maybe start a thread in "Off Topic" or in the "Trade" sections. I think it would go over well.

I asked for trades when I first started and some of the top builders hooked me up. I can only imagine the disappointment when they received my end of the swap!!
Never even knew there was a fishing section to be honest.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a newbie to the whole slingshot world, I think it would also help people like me who are unsure of how things work just yet and are unsure of the standard that we are at. But I've only been here 2 mins so might just be me
When you say "standard that you are at" do you mean with how your catty will perform, and safety of use?

·
Registered
446 Posts
As a newbie to the whole slingshot world, I think it would also help people like me who are unsure of how things work just yet and are unsure of the standard that we are at. But I've only been here 2 mins so might just be me
When you say "standard that you are at" do you mean with how your catty will perform, and safety of use?
I mean in my making skills, finishing and wether people like my work ect

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhhh okay, trust me when it comes to the homemades people can't help but to love some flaw in wood. That way they can take it and create something to their imagination. Also post up what you are unsure of and many of us will chip knowledge along to help you out. It is a passion for all of us, you are in good company.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ahhhh okay, trust me when it comes to the homemades people can't help but to love some flaw in wood. That way they can take it and create something to their imagination. Also post up what you are unsure of and many of us will chip knowledge along to help you out. It is a passion for all of us, you are in good company.
I have posted a couple of bits and as you say people couldn't help enough, definitely a good bunch of people

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Is there anyone else who would be interested in a homemade cattys classified section? I see the classified now it's usually bought ones, not ones that we created ourselves. Probably like a trade out system were the only cost is postage.

The problem in my opinion is that a lot of the guys that really support this forum pick up their beer money by making catties. So where are you going to draw the line? Are guys like J5 and Island in or out? I mean they are in fact homemade.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Is there anyone else who would be interested in a homemade cattys classified section? I see the classified now it's usually bought ones, not ones that we created ourselves. Probably like a trade out system were the only cost is postage.

The problem in my opinion is that a lot of the guys that really support this forum pick up their beer money by making catties. So where are you going to draw the line? Are guys like J5 and Island in or out? I mean they are in fact homemade.
That would go up for preference I suppose. I order stuff from the UK and Spain and don't mind waiting or paying my end on postage. It could be postage and beer pack money if that's the case. But if you are sending back and forth to each other no matter where as in trade. The difference may be minor. Unless you are sending a huge fork that weighs 5 pounds. (Meaning the cost should even out for both parties like a barter)

I am not excluding anyone from my trades though.

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
I've done a couple trades on here, but I mostly give the slingshots that I make away as gifts. I've also wondered how much people are disappointed when they open my packages. I doubt I'd ever feel confident enough in my workmanship to try to sell anything that I've made.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've done a couple trades on here, but I mostly give the slingshots that I make away as gifts. I've also wondered how much people are disappointed when they open my packages. I doubt I'd ever feel confident enough in my workmanship to try to sell anything that I've made.
That's why I was mainly suggesting barter or out right trade. Not all work is made equal, but how would we get better if we don't try though right?

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
That's why I was mainly suggesting barter or out right trade. Not all work is made equal, but how would we get better if we don't try though right?

I agree and I dont plan on stopping making slingshots anytime soon. I was just agreeing that gifts and trades works better for me and my skill level.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts