Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Henry, born and raised in East Texas, but have been living in Panama since 1975. Tip of the hat to Joerg, whose YouTube videos rekindled an interest in slingshots. Bought myself a Daisy B52, but after seeing some of today's custom stuff, I decided it was just too ugly. I shot it just long enough to get a nasty welt on the side of my neck after about 50 shots and proceeded to try my hand at building my own. I had some Cedra Espino (Spiny Cedar) and Caoba (Mahogony) boards laying around and started cutting. The first was dog-butt ugly, but shot as good as the Daisy, so I now have a new hobby. I'll post a picture when I finish the one I'm working on now. I'm gravitating toward a Milbro-inspired design, and so far am shooting only tubes because that is what I can get locally. Located a leather craft shop where I can buy scrap for pouches and waxed string for fasteners. I happened to have a Colt 1860 Army black powder repro that came with a brass bullet mold, so I'm shooting .45 caliber lead balls.

When I get good at board cuts, I have a block of 100 year old railroad tie that was used in the construction of the Canal. A friend brought a bunch of the cross-ties up from 60 feet of water on Gatun Lake in 1995, and gave me a chunk of one. I figure I can get maybe 5 frames out of it. This stuff is Lignum Vitae, also known as Guayacan, and is some of the hardest wood known. It is so dense that it will not float. Sometime in the future, I'll be asking some of you who have worked with dense wood for tips.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
WELCOME Henry, good luck with your frames, I have to warn you it's addictive.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Glad to have you with us Henry !

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Welcome Henry and good luck with your RR tie wood. It sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing it.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Nice to meet you, Henry. Looking forward to seeing your stuff -- but don't overlook the naturals

·
Super Moderator
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I feel like I know everybody already, having read this forum from one end to the other.

Dayhiker, I am not overlooking naturals. The one below is from a tree growing in my backyard. Locally, it's called "Saus", but a friend tells me the English name is Ficus. Whatever the name, it is a very hard wood. I haven't decided whether to leave it as is or strip all the bark and finish it. It's the best shooter of the six I have so far. (In less than a month. Imagine a year from now. LOL!)

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
That's a very nice fork just the way it is. You won't find any board that strong.

·
Super Moderator
6,633 Posts
Welcome in Henry and right off I must say you are right on about the "lignum". It is THE HARDEST wood known-doing an astounding 4500 on the Janka scale. The nearest wood to it in hardness is IPE (Brazilian Walnut) at 3800. I've worked both but the Lignum dulls tools real fast. It is really some kind of wood. You have the genuine stuff to. There is an Argentine version but I hear it's not quite as good. If that stuff has been under water for a number of years ,it must have an awesome patina about it. There are many very accomplished wood workers on here that will help you in any way they can when you decide to work that "Holy Wood". This is a great forum with a bunch of very friendy and helpful people. Have fun Bud! Flatband

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Hi There Henry,
Welcome to the forum. A GREAT group of people and an ALMOST endless mount of experiance/knowledge.

-Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts