Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Amateur Astronomer since I was about 22. I never ground my own lens or mirrors, but I knew how to test them and was always on the out look for high quality ones. I have designed, copied, and built many telescopes. Here are three reflector telescopes of note that I have built, two of which won awards. The First is a 12 inch F5, the second is a 4 1/4 inch folded F15 and the last Is a 12 inch F8. I also had a 4 inch refactor telescope that won a award plus another 4 inch one the won a photo award by another astronomer. The first three photos are of a telescope that was made with .020 wall square aluminum tubing and was plasma welded by a friend of mine. I no longer own any large telescopes. When I was young another man and myself started a 36 inch mirror grinding project, but before it got off the ground he passed away. I wanted to go ahead and do it, but could not find anybody else the would commit to it.

Face Smile Glasses Shoulder Purple
Electric blue Engineering Leisure Font Machine
Blue Azure Motor vehicle Wheel Tire
Wood Automotive tire Line Gas Font
Shorts Smile Bermuda shorts Standing Flash photography

Attachments

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Awesome stuff! It's amazing you built those things yourself. It's always so cool to see another side to people here at the SSF.

Reactions: Tag and M Mars

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Tex, you are just full of suprises aren't you?
I got into astronomy for a while too but not at that level.
I just had a 4" reflector.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
cool stuff! I had about a three foot cheapo. Mounted on a tripod, but without the wheels and gears, I never could keep up with the earths rotation. Funny the things we find that tweak our interest.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a story for you! We built a new house in the country out side of Waco (quite late in the 80's and I had the 1st telescope then, the F5). It was dark there, but we were in one of the flight paths to Fort Hood and once in awhile a B52 would come over our house. Well I was out looking at the night sky, when I saw one of B52's coming. You could easily manually track with that scope, and so I put it on the B52 and tracked it as it came toward me. Well when it was right over me the area around lit up like it was noon. Then the B52 turned the light off and on a couple of times. Even though he was 5 or 6 hundred feet up I felt that I could hear them o'l boy's laughing at me!

Reactions: Tag

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I thought you all might get a kick out of this photo. Yes I have owned many commercially made telescopes also, but never had one that compared to mine in performance, after all I am a old horse trader. Now notice the state of the art computer in the photo! :rofl:

Dress Vehicle Knee Thigh Car

I also notice that this page is not smart enough to take photos the way they are presented.

Attachments

Reactions: Tag
1 - 10 of 10 Posts