Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to cash my paycheque today at the local pawn shop and i just happened to see a mastercraft jigsaw, brand new in box for 20$.
so i bought it, then bought a bunch of new blades..
i came home, and tried my hand at the jigsaw..
ITS WAY HARDER THAN I THOUGHT.
first thing i did was cut my huge 6' cutting board down into squares.. they are not the nicest looking squares lol.. then i tried to cut out a shape.. waaaaay harder to do.. lol. it will take a bit of practice, but im happy i wont have to use the coping saw forever

here is the one i got http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/2/CordedPowerTools/Jigsaws/PRDOVR~0548223P/Mastercraft%252B5A%252BOrbital%252BJigsaw%252Bwith%252BLaser.jsp?locale=en

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i put in on some crates and kneel on top of the board, putting all my weight on it.. works so far.. no jumping.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You'll be cutting out near-perfect shapes in no time. It doesn't take a whole lot of practice to master one of these. A few tips: 1. Like marcus said, make sure your work is very secure. 2. Do short sections of cutting at a time, stopping frequently to blow sawdust out of the way and make sure you're still following your pre-drawn pattern on the wood. 3. use something very visible to draw your shape on the wood first. I use a black fine-point Sharpie.

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys. i was hoping i would get some pointers and, sure enough you did not let me down. I will post some progress when i get more into it.. i also picked up a pruning saw for fork hunting in the forests.. before i was using a finetoothed coping saw.. what a joke lol.. it worked , but , well.. you know what i mean.

·
Banned
1,311 Posts
id still be inclined to clamp it down mate,safety first an all that and itll mean you can be more accurate and give your attention to whats goin on ,not wether its still under your knee,without patronising,one slip of the mind with any power tool can result in accident,preach over lol and enjoy bj

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you are absolutely right. i am still very new to tools.. i will take my time and be safe. i like all my fingers

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
clamp it down or u will have your fingers off lol, the thin narrow blades will be best for slingshots because they cut tighter curves, also when using the metal blades on metal you should pour water on when your cutting, it keeps it cool and stops the blade clogging up, i use to do a lot of work in 14mm aircraft alloy, john

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I've had a new jig saw for about 3 weeks, and I'm still going over to my neighbors band saw to get frames cut out. The saw blade goes on an angle half way down so the cut isn't straight up and down. I've learned how to swear in languages I don't know. What am I doing wrong? Please don't tell me my mistake is using a jig saw.

Al

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
clamp it down or u will have your fingers off lol, the thin narrow blades will be best for slingshots because they cut tighter curves, also when using the metal blades on metal you should pour water on when your cutting, it keeps it cool and stops the blade clogging up, i use to do a lot of work in 14mm aircraft alloy, john
awesome, thanks man. this one i got also has an attachment to hook up my vacuum so it takes the dust away while i work.. im pretty stoked on it. thanks again everyone for advice.. i will get some clamps..

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
Looks like a nice saw. If it's varible speed sometimes you can slow it down and make a big differance in your cut.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
My advise is don't cut your stock into little squares. Cut your forks out of the big piece of wood, it's easier to hold down.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've had a new jig saw for about 3 weeks, and I'm still going over to my neighbors band saw to get frames cut out. The saw blade goes on an angle half way down so the cut isn't straight up and down. I've learned how to swear in languages I don't know. What am I doing wrong? Please don't tell me my mistake is using a jig saw.

Al
Only thing that comes to mind is to check the make sure there is nothing in the blade holder that causes the blade to be off set. I know this sounds simple but is the sole of the saw square to the blade?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Thanks rubberpower, I will check to see that it is clear. I have no idea what I could be doing to cause the blade to travel off course. I hope I find something in the blade holder. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I usually cut the frame from the end of a board and work at each side. The last short cut separates the frame from the long board. The board is held in my B&D Workmate.

Bending blades? Try a "scrollsaw blade" and work a bit slower on the curves. My old jigsaw didn't have the rollers at the back of the blade and my rough frames had a terrible angle that I had to sand straight with drum sanders. My new jigsaw has the rollers and works much better.

Cheers,
Northerner

·
Registered
345 Posts
by the looks of the jigsaw it is far better than mine. mine is a black and decker variable speed jigsaw. i agree with most of the posts above. you really should clamp the wood down. safety first!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts