Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
I really appreciate Flatband for showing support to the Chinese slingshot community, and yes we were awestrucked by the performance.

I did particiapted in the SH Tournament, though I did only end up at rank 400 something I find the experience really inspiring. Not only I met numerous great shooters across the world, but also witnessing some of the finest domestic shooters in China in action was eye opening.

I could still remember the thick air of tension and silence during the duel between the top two shooters in the finals, and yes, everyone in the stadium was awestrucked by their performances. One thing I could really point out is the poise from the top shooters, especially the champion and the 1st runner up, their abilities to stay calm and be consistent with their shooting form is impressive-and I reckon such skill is crucial for competitive shooters.

When it comes to competitions, they are ALL ABOUT CONSISTENCY. Most competitive Chinese shooters, including myself, stick to lighter set-ups with light ammos (6.4-8mm), I reckon the idea behind is to maximize stability by having more control over your pull and release. I personally shoot 7mm with 0.4 18-10 150mm cut. People should adjust according to the actual performance. Generally, with 6.4-9mm steels balls, the popular tapers are 17-9, 18-10, 1911, 2012 for anything below 0.6. Though I have seen elite medium/long-pull shooters in competitions, but due to the lack of anchor point references it usually takes a longer time to develope consistent shooting with medium/long pulls. Instead, short-pulls is relatively more effective for compeitions. It is the most popular style for competitive shooting for a major reason - solid anchor points (usually on faces). Certainly it differs from personal preferences, short-pull with light set-up further maximizes the consistency per shot with miminal time put into practice. Nonetheless, practices are critical to anyone who wants to develope consistency.

Where medium/long pulls excel at are range, power, and for some, the more badass looking shooting stances, but these factors become less critical in the current format of indoor competitions where only 10 and 15 metres are put to the task. Under the current format, the separation between good and regular competitive shooters is the notorious PAPER TARGET. Paper shooting requires the highest focus and consistency then knock-down targets which provide and immediate results of your shots and trajectory can be traced with ease. In the SH Tournament, shooters could bring along their telescopic equipments for the paper shooting sections. It is rather dull for both the shooters and spectators who could not see how the shots land. Though I personally think paper shooting will remian a critical component of the modern slingshot competition, the entertainment factor has to be raised as competitive slingshot grows.

As the World Slingshot Association (WSA) is officialy founded, they have set out a schedule for international competitions hosted by various countries. We, as a slingshot community, will have more opportunities to interact and learn from each. Hope to see you guys in the soon future.

· Registered
70 Posts
To fill the gaps above:
- Most competitive Chinese these days shoot with titanium alloy frames with optic fabrics and band clips. I find them to be the most ideal material for competiive slingshot frames atm, it's light yet solid, optic fabrics and quick banding system can be included in most models. The slingshot manufacturing industry is extremely vibrant and advanced with numerous models releasing every year from multiple manufacturers. The quality is getting better as the market thrives and demands for better frames.
- The circular forktips ("feihu" or peg heads) are popular for its easier attachment and for some clearer aim. For most who shoot competitively, including myself, prefers 20mm sloped quick-band forktips.

- For OTT, subject to the design intent, the general fork-widths for competition frames are 75, 80, 85, 90mm (+/-1).

- Since last year, there are more models designed to include adjustable forktips for outter fork width adjustments, some could extend to 120mm. Extremely useful for shooters to respond by adjust to their aiming and actual trajectory. This opens up a new area of model designs and shooting.
- Flatbands pretty much beat tubes in all aspects except durability; you rarely see Chinese competitve shooters using tubes these days. Still, you can spot great shooters from other countries favouring tubes. In SH, for example, the Italians were shooting extremely well with tubes and landed the top ranks among international shooters.

- With lighter set-up, comes smaller pouches. Still it is subject to personal preference.

· Registered
70 Posts
I recently switched back to 4.5mm and 6mm ammo and very light bands. It seems to be helping my release.
Yeah my man, welcome to the light set-up cult lol. 6mm might be too light for 0.45, the projectile might fly without control. What's your taper and band length?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.