Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new here, as I just joined today, last March I purchased a, "Daisy Powerline F16 Slingshot", from Cabelles store and,have wore out the first yellow tubing that cimes with it and purchased, I believe the "Marksman Red', surgical tubing to replace it1

I don't believe the Marksman tubing, delivers as powerful a shot as the yellow Daisy tubing did!

I have done a fair amount of target practice, as I live near a river and shoot at tree trunks from a distance, power poles and at the tin tags attached to the poles - sometimes i hit, sometimes I don't !

Regardless I belive the the hits are mor affirmative now than the misses! I tale my dog along with me for walks and his leash loop is most times around my left holding hand and at times he tugs to go so this has been good training to shoot under a little adversity, and to quicker aim at my targets and get the shot off with a hit!

I have for the most part been shooting with stones as fuel, although I have used "Dollar Store", marbles and have some 3/8" Steel BB's by "Kavia".

As i have been reading on the Net that, probably the best hunt kill fuel is .50 or 1/2" caliber steel bearings, lead balls or tungsten balls and I believe that to be true?

For speed and a hard hitting shot probably the following may be best: .38 Caliber, .44 Caliber or .45 Caliber?

So far all I have hit and killed was a Magpie perched on a tree branch from a fair distance 10 yards in a tree and 10 feet approx. over my head.

I have been looking at all these custom slingshots and some look very attractive, but I am not sure they are really anymore powerful - how would one know unless you tried them out!

I am a little leary of the flat bands on some, as they are not that readily available in my area and shipping costs make most of the advertised units undesireable when added to the retail price!

I have seen Serge's slingshots on youtube.com and he has some interesting catapult inventions alright!
I am also amazed at the talent of "Slingshot man or they sometimes also call him Slingshot guy"
on http://www.youtube.com

Presently, I am convinced that .50 Caliber Steel Bearings, will deliver the best shot and kill when hunting?

I have much to learn, so I am interested in everyone's replies!

Cliff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the welcome - Tuberman, Slingshots WS and NaturalFork, and I will purchase some lead balls for hunting!

Good to hear there are others who enjoy this sport as well! It is 505 PM and hot in WPG. as I rype this!

·
Super Moderator
6,747 Posts
Nice to have you with us Cliff. Lead for hunting,steel for targets that's usually the way it goes for slingshots. BTW a good match for that Daisy F-16 as far as tubes would be the Trumark RRT's for target work and light/medium ammo for hunting and the RR-1 and 2 or serious heavy ammo hunting. Lot of info on here-enjoy! Flatband

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another to-be hunter some day. Welcome to the Forum. You'll find plenty of information as i did. I like this fast shooting because of your dog. As a dog trainer i have dogs with me most of the time and know what you are talking about

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Welcome to the forum Cliff! Some great advise already so I don't really have anything to add.

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
Welcome Cliff, glad to see you joined, you won't regret it.
Philly

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
Hi,

I am new here, as I just joined today, last March I purchased a, "Daisy Powerline F16 Slingshot", from Cabelles store and,have wore out the first yellow tubing that cimes with it and purchased, I believe the "Marksman Red', surgical tubing to replace it1

I don't believe the Marksman tubing, delivers as powerful a shot as the yellow Daisy tubing did!

I have done a fair amount of target practice, as I live near a river and shoot at tree trunks from a distance, power poles and at the tin tags attached to the poles - sometimes i hit, sometimes I don't !

Regardless I belive the the hits are mor affirmative now than the misses! I tale my dog along with me for walks and his leash loop is most times around my left holding hand and at times he tugs to go so this has been good training to shoot under a little adversity, and to quicker aim at my targets and get the shot off with a hit!

I have for the most part been shooting with stones as fuel, although I have used "Dollar Store", marbles and have some 3/8" Steel BB's by "Kavia".

As i have been reading on the Net that, probably the best hunt kill fuel is .50 or 1/2" caliber steel bearings, lead balls or tungsten balls and I believe that to be true?

For speed and a hard hitting shot probably the following may be best: .38 Caliber, .44 Caliber or .45 Caliber?

So far all I have hit and killed was a Magpie perched on a tree branch from a fair distance 10 yards in a tree and 10 feet approx. over my head.

I have been looking at all these custom slingshots and some look very attractive, but I am not sure they are really anymore powerful - how would one know unless you tried them out!

I am a little leary of the flat bands on some, as they are not that readily available in my area and shipping costs make most of the advertised units undesireable when added to the retail price!

I have seen Serge's slingshots on youtube.com and he has some interesting catapult inventions alright!
I am also amazed at the talent of "Slingshot man or they sometimes also call him Slingshot guy"
on http://www.youtube.com

Presently, I am convinced that .50 Caliber Steel Bearings, will deliver the best shot and kill when hunting?

I have much to learn, so I am interested in everyone's replies!

Cliff
Welcome!

Two things: Attach your dog's leash handle to your belt so you can be hands free.
Keep in mind that Daisy, at one time, had a massive recall due to several injuries as the result of inferior
tube fabrication, in China. I don't know of anyone on this forum who uses Daisy rubber.

Enjoy your new brothers and sisters!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome Cliff
I'll second Flatband's recommendation about Trumark tubes. The Daisy yellow tubes are much harder to pull. With tapered Trumark tubes, you'll be able to shoot twice as long before getting tired, so you should get better twice as fast

1 - 18 of 18 Posts