Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I started shooting slingshots about 15 months ago. I have only shot TTF until recently. I just decided a couple of weeks ago to try OTT. To my surprise, my accuracy improved noticiably. It may be some kind of honeymoon period, but I think it has to do with a simpler visual image. Sighting down the thin edge of the band seems to allow me to be more accurate left to right.

Anyone notice anything similar?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm the opposite, started OTT, tried TTF, promptly back to OTT. I've got a theory that is not my own, but one I've been banging on about of late. It is as you say - all to do with a clearer visual image of the target.

I shoot small, narrow, pegheaded style frames precisely because they give a clearer target picture. No reliance on aiming devices, either added on doo hickeys or the edge of the fork, but your own instinctual reaction as to where to place the shot. My skinny forks are well below the target picture, but the compensation I make to nail the target is gauged by what worked or didn't work before. Still sighting along the bands and keeping a consistent anchor, which varies according to what style of band set I'm using, but having a "clear uninterrupted sight picture of the target" is paramount. Big thanks to a member here - Urbanshooter- that first coined that phrase and helped crystallise my approach to shooting.

Intent counts for a bit too. I love nailing a target and bringing full focus to the shot pays off in spades. Was a crap shooter a year ago. Not now though.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Definitely OTT, it's simply easier to be accurate in combination with a steady anchor point (cheekbone area) using shorter adapted bands (in my case, 19 cm total length, 20 mm wide at the forks, 10 mm at the pouch, rubber between 0.6 and 0.8 mm thickness and a small pouch.

This setup is great for ammo between 6 to 8 mm.

·
Registered
928 Posts
So, I started shooting slingshots about 15 months ago. I have only shot TTF until recently. I just decided a couple of weeks ago to try OTT. To my surprise, my accuracy improved noticiably. It may be some kind of honeymoon period, but I think it has to do with a simpler visual image. Sighting down the thin edge of the band seems to allow me to be more accurate left to right.

Both are great and always been. After some time you may stop watching bands and alignment at all. Once muscle memory is kicking in and a natural flow is developed these conscious movements like checking things all the time can actually hinder the micro-motoric movements.

Many cases when a plateau is reached we tend to switch a frame and mixing up things. Sometimes it is better and you see instant progression as happened in your case, but on the other hand the shooter may miss the lesson by not solving an important issue that blocks future improvement.

Agree with your experience! I just wanted to emphasize that the solution for improvement is not just a switch that makes the magic. It is always good to review old habits to get to know the cause, even if the problematic habits (seems to be) are outdated.

Thanks for sharing the experience!

T

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I shoot OTT exclusively and on top of that I flip, or, as I like to say "I can not not to flip". And this is fun for me.

I must admit that when I tried TTF and managed not to flip my accuracy improved a little.

But, then, I am at the age when accuracy does not really matter so much.

cheers,

jazz

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Both are great and always been. After some time you may stop watching bands and alignment at all. Once muscle memory is kicking in and a natural flow is developed these conscious movements like checking things all the time can actually hinder the micro-motoric movements.

Many cases when a plateau is reached we tend to switch a frame and mixing up things. Sometimes it is better and you see instant progression as happened in your case, but on the other hand the shooter may miss the lesson by not solving an important issue that blocks future improvement.

Agree with your experience! I just wanted to emphasize that the solution for improvement is not just a switch that makes the magic. It is always good to review old habits to get to know the cause, even if the problematic habits (seems to be) are outdated.

Thanks for sharing the experience!

T
I get what you're saying about missing the lesson. I'll just say that I work pretty hard at this - the way I'm made means that I have to work hard at something to have fun. I've made steady improvements all along and learned a lot. Then sometimes I try something new and break the plateau. Maybe something I've learned from OTT can be applied to TTF down the road and create another jump.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I seem to do better with slingshots that are designed to be shot exclusively OTT or TTF. My 3 favorite frames are a Kit Fox Hybrid from A+ Slingshots that is designed for heavy tubes, a large pouch, TTF and instinctive, a Jack Koehler Alley Cat that is designed for pseudo tapers, TTF, and a custom from Mako Pat that is OTT.

Since Seljan kicked in with his opinion, I should also mention that I my Torque is among my favorites, which is designed for OTT.

Of course, I would be remiss if I failed to mention my Rambone (OTT) and my PP HTS, which I shoot way better OTT that TTF.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Because of an accident and the resulting hand issues I can only shoot the special slingshot that Big Dan Hood dsigned for me and that one can only be shot OTT. I shoot better OTT or it may just the great frame Dan created.
Don't want to hijack the thread, but GP it would be really cool if you did a post of your slingshot. That's a really cool design and I'd love to learn more about it.

As for OTT/TTF, I usually shoot tubes so they're either looped or I go over the fork. I've played with TTF with a frame that MakoPat sent me, and didn't notice a huge difference. I do feel like I'm less likely to get a fork hit OTT. All that said, I thought I read somewhere that TTF was supposed to be more accurate in theory because it cut back on wrist flip and a couple other variables.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Because of an accident and the resulting hand issues I can only shoot the special slingshot that Big Dan Hood dsigned for me and that one can only be shot OTT. I shoot better OTT or it may just the great frame Dan created.
Don't want to hijack the thread, but GP it would be really cool if you did a post of your slingshot. That's a really cool design and I'd love to learn more about it.

As for OTT/TTF, I usually shoot tubes so they're either looped or I go over the fork. I've played with TTF with a frame that MakoPat sent me, and didn't notice a huge difference. I do feel like I'm less likely to get a fork hit OTT. All that said, I thought I read somewhere that TTF was supposed to be more accurate in theory because it cut back on wrist flip and a couple other variables.
Mikey...The slingshot that Big Dan Hood designed and made for me is really wonderful and unique. Perhaps I can get Dan to work with me and put together a post in the future. I am in Canada for a few weeks but when I get back to Colorado I will try and put something together .

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Mikey...The slingshot that Big Dan Hood designed and made for me is really wonderful and unique. Perhaps I can get Dan to work with me and put together a post in the future. I am in Canada for a few weeks but when I get back to Colorado I will try and put something together .
I believe this type of slingshot is called a gloveshot. Jorge Sprave had a video on how to build one on his YouTube channel a couple of years ago. I believe he got the idea from a video a young boy posted on YouTube. Monte Gear sells a version of a gloveshot too.

In my opinion this version by Dan Hood is the best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts