Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
1,014 Posts
Everybody should know that wearing safety glasses when shooting or making slingshots is a minimum safety standard. Of course, if your like me, keeping up with them is another matter altogether. I have many pairs scattered around my shop and house, so there is usually one handy any time except when I decide I need to put a pair on, at which point they magically disappear. The best way i have found to keep them handy is on a lanyard around my neck, or with one that is adjustable so that I can set it to hold them firmly on top of my head when I don't need them.

But who wants to be seen wearing some cheap little piece of elastic, or some girly looking thing with loops on it like your Granny wears on her reading glasses? I needed a manly piece of hardware to go with all my tools and weapons and stuff :) Yea, Right!

Anyway, I ended up coming up with these and thought I would donate the idea to anybody out there that might have some paracord laying around and a little time to kill.

We're not talking rocket science here. I used a lanyard knot at the back to keep things centered and a small turks head knot as a sliding adjuster. I melted the end of the paracord a little more than usual to make a stopper knot and slid the end into a piece of black latex tube, then cuffed it in with a smaller piece of 1745. I rolled the earpiece end down as much as I could, then opened it up with a pair of pliers and slid the earpiece in and folded the tube back down. I'm not gonna say it would support my weight or anything, but it's definitely not going to come loose under normal use!

Anyway, here is the end result (with a matching ammo pouch no less) I don't know why i have so much trouble with that particular color of paracord, but in person it's road cone orange with a reflective stripe.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
James

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
i like the idea of the lanyard for the safety glasses, we use a cheaper version of these at work, i want to learn to make a few knots make a few lanyards, what is the name of the knot on the lanyard tying your ball sack?

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Hrawk,

i think i will head over to you tube and see if i can find someone making one looks nice, hey Hrawk just watched your other tutorial on making acryllic clear again, my little bug shooter is almost dry, 3 layers of minwax poly for the finish would you sand it maybe using 1-200 grit sandpaper seems like this might dull it? but i read here somewhere that it is their final step, i know for knives i make my blades like mirrors on 2000 grit grits, but clear and shiny is different.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
i like the idea of the lanyard for the safety glasses, we use a cheaper version of these at work, i want to learn to make a few knots make a few lanyards, what is the name of the knot on the lanyard tying your ball sack?
I make paracord stuff, if you would like a 550 cord braclet, lanyard shoot me a pm:

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
ive noticed that a lot of you use mainly clear glasses. i like to use either the dark shade or the yellow lenses, yellow is my preferance. over here in the desert i tend to get sunburn in my eyes if i use the clear ones . and the yellow also filters out some uv light and makes the target stand out .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts