Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After speaking with a wide cross section of slingshot shooters, it has come to my attention that there may be some that don’t understand the limits that a practical hand held slingshot has. To try to illustrate this, I am picking energy of about 11 1/2 foot pounds or what a 1/2 inch steel ball traveling at 200 feet per second will produce. To obtain the same foot pounds of energy a 3/4 inch lead ball would only have to travel at about 90 1/2 feet per second. You can quickly see that that speed is not very practical. Now to get the same energy shooting a 1/4 steel ball, it would have to travel at about 569 feet per second. As far as I have been able to ascertain, that is impossible with a rubber powered slingshot. So that is why that experienced shooters recommend shot sizes between 3/8 and 5/8 inch in diameter. Almost all commonly banded slingshots shoot between 140 and 250 feet per second, even the heavy banded ones. I have found that a person can also shoot more accurately when using the 3/8 to 5/8 shot sizes. Now having said this, I like to carry a very small bb shooter with me some times, but I understand that it does not pack any real killing power and is just a novelty. On the other hand a modestly banded classic slingshot with a 7/16 lead ball can pack some real power and is plenty to kill small game. -- Tex

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
OTOH, my extreme heavy power bands shoot everything from plastic BBs to bug ugly chunks of lead the size of a baby's fist at decent speeds that give flat trajectories. That's why I like them; they are less optimised for one particular size and weight of shot. My 6 y.o. daughter has some really weedy bands on her fork. They are about the limit she can draw and shoot accurately and while they handle small shot well, larger sizes say above 3/8" are a struggle. A reasonably healthy adult should be able to shoot double Thera-band Gold Hunter Bands, or at least double Thera-band Silver.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
I have one heavy slingshot that is equipped with double thera gold, and when I try to shoot at a tin can from 15 yards (my customary range) with small glass tracer marbles I am all over the place. That is, the marbles do not fly true, but in crazy unpredictable paths. Heavier steel balls fly true.

When I use thinner bands or tubes with the marbles, I can shoot more accurately. I can shoot these marbles accurately, ZDP, even with your red bands doubled. But with the 8-strand tubes that came with my Cougar, or with Thera Gold -- no way. Heavier ammo is needed for heavier bands.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
That's true. What Tex said is also true. Everyone needs to understand what they can pull and what ammo is best matched to that.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I normally shoot 3/8" steel balls with a single banded therea band gold and have smooth shooting and accurate but, when I recieved and shoot my T1 From Dan ( ZDP) I was all over the place and had much slap so I switched to shooting 1/2" steel balls and wala problem solved ! super smooth shooter , very accurate, no slap and man oh man does those 1/2" balls pack a punch !! WOW . The bands must match the load and I have found lighter shot produces weaker/lighter hits and more richochets !

I do not like richochets ! very , very dangerous !! When I go out hunting it's going to be 1/2" balls for me. Hit em once and make em dead !

-Scott

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Exactly, the band must match the load. When you PM'd me to say that you were used to shooting 10lb bands, what went through my mind was "uh-oh"
, because I knew your shot would likely be too light. Luckily, you then wrote that you had sorted it out. You should try different bands on it, especially ones you are familiar with and ammo you are familiar with. Then you'll be able to know how the frame compares. Either that and keep it as a hunter. There's not much point to a camo frame as a target shooter with weak bands other than for initial bench testing .

·
Registered
470 Posts
Will 10lb draw weight bands be decent with .45 cal lead shots (weighing 180 grains). If not recommend me the draw weight. I reckon that a 1/2'' steelie is 120 grains, so 3/8'' lead will work for perfect for the 10 lb bands. But is the 180grain .45cal too much to handle.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3/8 lead with high quality 10# bands will do the job, but I would recommend 45 caliper with high quality 16 pound bands. By the way my 1/2 steel balls weight 130 grain, does the ones that you have flats? -- Tex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts