Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

have made my first Kydex test pouch today.

I tied the ends with string to allow the pouch to open.

The Kydex is way too thick (2,5mm) and I have to optimize the form, plus I will add a funnel for easier loading. But it works!

The scattering is just the way I like it. The target in the picture is one shot, from 5 Meters distance. No "tissue bag", I just plainly loaded the lead balls (4.5mm) into the pouch, one side for now because of the lack of a funnel.

Next weekend, I will make a much nicer one and present it on video!

Regards

Jörg

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is too early to say if the shot makes any sense. When I finished the testpouch, it was already almost dark outside. Penetration tests will have to wait, same thing for the slomo video studies.

But I can also shoot the 19mm lead/steel balls out of this pouch. One thing is for sure: The grip on this pouch is phenomenal. You can pull harder and release cleaner than using a leather pouch. There is potential in the idea, as Saunders already prooved with their plastic pouch.

I have to find thinner Kydex, this pouch is too heavy (8 gramms). 1 mm Kydex would be ideal, then the weight would go down to about 3 gramms, same as a leather pouch.

I will keep working on the concept.

Jörg

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I'm watching the development of this one with lots of interest ! I have wondered about cutting a wide spot, in the middle, on one continuous band to flip shot.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Interesting It appears that the projectile's pattern is a thick line, like a duckbill shotgun has.
How many projectiles are used for one shot?
I'd think that would be a variable # depending on shot size. If you were to use a #12 shot(or 1.2mm), as the .22 rimfire shotshell uses, you'd have quite a "Skeeter Eater" . Also the pattern will likely be more densely populated once Joerg works out the filling funnel and fills that pouch to capacity. Should be very interesting to see the results.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That would be great for shooting snakes that you don't want around.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have found 1mm Kydex, should be here tomorrow. The sheet I got is huge (1200 x 1000 mm), so I can potentially make many, many pouches from it. Let us hope it works out.

Jörg

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Isn't it great to find a material that is just what your looking for? I'm nterested in the video of this.

Jorg, are you getting PM notifications? Sent you a PM. The site says you haven't read it. So I wondered if you are aware they are there.

Stay creative.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the 1mm Kydex today and made a pouch.

This works fantastic! I designed the pouch in a way that it can not fully open, just enough to let the 19mm lead ball out. This leads to very tight groups when I use lead shot! Even from 10 meters, several balls hit the air rifle target (which is small). At 5 meters, all of them are in the air rifle target.

I smashed an apple from 5 meters! No tissue bags whatsoever.

But it also shoots very good with lead balls.

The only issue: You either have to wear a glove or shoot it flipstyle. The pouch is not heavier than leather, but much harder, so a handslap might cause cuts, would hurt very much for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I mould kydex and work leather. I recommend a leather pouch; the leather can be wetformed and skived in the middle at the hinge to make it flexible. It won't crack or chip and will be a little gentler on your fork hand.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I put together a multi-shot pouch just to show another way to do it with leather. The pouch has a stitch taken on both sides to form a pocket. It can be shot by just pouring the shot into the pocket or you can pre-make several shot shells in advance as shown here. I make then by separating a two ply tissue and using just one ply of it. I line a thimble with it and pour it full of shot, then tie it off with thread and trim. This way you can carry several and reload quickly. The 2nd picture shows a pattern at approximately 5 meters. Multi-shot shooting does not have much killing power as the small shot just does not travel fast enough. -- Tex

Attachments

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Nice Tex!!! I've done that before as well. I believe that it was on the old Whammo instructions as a "DIY" project. It is interesting. I really like the idea ....I wish it had more killing power, but you are correct in saying it doesn't have much. I do think it would take doves and such at close range, but I haven't actually tried yet, have you Tex?

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
It will not take any thing larger than a sparrow effectively. I use it with sand to kill red wasp around the house, as they get very aggressive. -- Tex

1 - 20 of 31 Posts