Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinks its my best so far. Its not done but we are just shy of the finish line I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its another piece of oak I got a solid 4ft board of it for free at my work so pretty much everything I'm building now is oak. Lol. I really appreciate all the support boys! I busted it hatd on this one and feel quite accomplished.

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
That's a lot of work. What are the primary tools you use for the work.
I am always interested in tools used. Wood working has never been my strong suit. Always curios what tools I would need.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a lot of work. What are the primary tools you use for the work.
I am always interested in tools used. Wood working has never been my strong suit. Always curios what tools I would need.

I used an electric jigsaw for my rough cut then from there all I used was a half round file and a rat tail file and sandpaper man. It was a solid 5-6 hours of filing and sanding man.
Thanks
Mike

Reactions: Long John

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Answer above ^ I dont know why it used my reply as a quote.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,726 Posts
Looks good!

Keep in mind the risks with board cuts due to the higher potential of breaks where there isn't much wood and the grain runs vertical at the base of the fork.
hey @Rayshot..........I'm confused(?)....I thought you actually "wanted" the grain to run vertically from stem to stern ? I thought having crossways or horizontal grain at the tips was bad because

of the risk of the fork tips snapping along the grain ?

PLease clarify as I want to make sure I'm building safe slings, tks.

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
I think I see what he means. If you look at the sling upright, the entire grain runs top to bottom but if you look at it sideways, the thin part at the base of the fork uprights is horizontal. A a very weak spot.

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Or I should rephrase, the grain runs horizontal at the narrowest spot of the fork uprights. I would make sure to test it's strength before using it just to be safe.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Looks good!

Keep in mind the risks with board cuts due to the higher potential of breaks where there isn't much wood and the grain runs vertical at the base of the fork.
I have been thinking about this since you brought it up. I wonder if adding an extra board and a layer of J.B. weld in between would strengthen it greatly. but in all doubt just pin it up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far its actually quite strong I banded it up and it shot pretty well. Its still not finished but I will post up as soon as it is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts