Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Panda... with a slingshot?!?
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for the fun of it, where can I get 1 inch lead balls? Would I have to cast them myself?
I want the destruction to begin already!

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
I would think that a one inch lead might be a little dangerous to the shooter from almost all slingshots, especially if flip shooting. It would take very heavy bands to be safe and then you run the risk of trigger finger. -- Tex

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
I agree with Tex!!! The largest I cast (and so far have not used often as they were more of an experiment) were about 15mm or a little larger than a standard marble. That is about my limit I think.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've sent you a PM

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Why not try out some 1 inch marble shooters first. I occasionally shoot these and they do very well for some close shooting. They are slammin when shooting cans. Lead way toooo heavy and may elivate possible risk for personal disaster. I would discourage you from such heavy shot.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Something that size would work better in a sling than in a slingshot. Stick with the half inch if anything. In the US .50 lead is readily available for muzzle loading forearms, but fishing sinkers will probably cause less unpleasant contact with the authorities.

·
Panda... with a slingshot?!?
807 Posts
Yes, I realise my query for 1 inch balls was a bit silly, now I think about it. I'm thinking of using either .50 cal or .64 cal. I may have a source for the .64 cal but where can I get good .50 cal lead balls at a good rate?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item7dbab5fc63 thats the link for the moulds there originally for fishing weights but there in balls so u can use them for ammo i use them all diff sizes u select!

hope i helped XD
That could be very helpful, but I don't know how to or what equipment I need to cast lead (except for those moulds)

PandaMan

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Conal, if you think you can shoot 1" lead ball, work up to it. Ball mass scales to the cube power of diameter. A 1" ball is 2^3 (i.e. 8x) the weight of .50 and (1/.375)^3 (i.e. 19x) the weight of 3/8" shot. Band strength must be scaled to mass to get comparable velocity so you scale width. Imagine trying to pull 10 or more sets of Express Bands, Fastbands, or Gold Winners. You could of course just shoot the strongest band you could draw and make do with poor velocity. There is a major caveat though. Your cnances of a fork hit rise dramatically and with the great energies involved, that may translate into an injury that may maim or kill you. There is another phenomenon common to big projectiles too, called the 180 degree shot where the pouch flips over and shoots the projectile into your face or chest with more or less full force. It's more than folly, it's positively reckless.

So as I said work up to larger shot slowly and hopefully have the good sense to realise when you're about to reach the danger zone and pull up short of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.