Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - just the latest quick whittled natural. I tried some 114 rubber bands recommended by Grandpa Grumpy and wanted to give him a big thank you! One on each side was a little light for what I wanted, but two on each side really spits out 3/8 steel and works decent with 7/16. I also put both sides of the tab on the same side of the frame, which I also picked up from someone on the forum - maybe Charles Morgan? I apologize for not remembering! Something about naturals with tabs and rubber bands just feels right to me, whereas I use purpose made flat latex bands with board cuts and store bought frames. I rubbed some wax on it quick but it turned out to be a shooter - I might try to acetone off some wax to put on a more protective finish. Not sure if that would work or if I’m stuck with a wax finish...

Attachments

·
Mojave Mo
5,386 Posts
That is a classic shooting setup right there! If you have a high speed buffing wheel then buff the heck out of it as is. If not then a heavy brown paper bag rubdown on the fork will also yield somewhat of a burnished look and feel to the wood. I think a frame like that now just needs some sweat and oil from the hand and maybe a little dog slobber if you have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mojave Mo
5,386 Posts
Thanks Mo I've never heard of using a bag like that! Is there a concern about using it too long and the wood becoming compromised if it isn't sealed with something stronger like urethane or linseed oil?
I think you get as many opinions as you can hope for here. As Joe just mentioned 'Tung Oil' or 'Chinese Wood Oil' is a product that cannot be denied for wood protection, preservation, and moisture proofing. That latter is an understatment in the this oil was discovered around 500BC in China and was used for waterproofing ships during the Song Dynasty. Minwax in a can is a very suitable product. If you are going to go that route then just follow the directions on the can. We have a lot of creative finish inventors here on The Forum that have been around long enough to experiment and create a secret sauce for their finishing techniques. A favorite finish around here that goes by the name of Satan's Snot or Satan's Saliva is a method I have tried and now avoid at all costs. In fact I am not even qualified to mention that formula. Forget I mentioned that.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
That is a classic shooting setup right there! If you have a high speed buffing wheel then buff the heck out of it as is. If not then a heavy brown paper bag rubdown on the fork will also yield somewhat of a burnished look and feel to the wood. I think a frame like that now just needs some sweat and oil from the hand and maybe a little dog slobber if you have any.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mo and I just have attended the same finishing school. If you don't have a buffing wheel or a heavy browm paper poke... use the shiny side of an old leather wallet or belt to burnish/finish.

When it starts to dry out a touch add more wax and repeat the rub down. Over time and use it will look awesome and grip like only wood can.

PS- that isnthe true Roma/Appalachian tabs, right there, friends and neighbors!
Woooooooooo!!!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Thanks Mo I've never heard of using a bag like that! Is there a concern about using it too long and the wood becoming compromised if it isn't sealed with something stronger like urethane or linseed oil?
I think you get as many opinions as you can hope for here. As Joe just mentioned 'Tung Oil' or 'Chinese Wood Oil' is a product that cannot be denied for wood protection, preservation, and moisture proofing. That latter is an understatment in the this oil was discovered around 500BC in China and was used for waterproofing ships during the Song Dynasty. Minwax in a can is a very suitable product. If you are going to go that route then just follow the directions on the can. We have a lot of creative finish inventors here on The Forum that have been around long enough to experiment and create a secret sauce for their finishing techniques. A favorite finish around here that goes by the name of Satan's Snot or Satan's Saliva is a method I have tried and now avoid at all costs. In fact I am not even qualified to mention that formula. Forget I mentioned that.
I put the old snot formula on a nattie and gave it to my brother in law. He shot it for a couple of hours then went in the house to use the bathroom. You could here him scream three houses over!! Tee hee!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Looks great, never tried with rubber bands myself but glad to hear how fast they shoot the ⅜" steel. They would probably work great for my quarter inch that I Laguna shoot.

Cheers

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, nothing special about the slingshot just wanted to give some thank yous because this one is fun! There’s a lot of different aspects to the hobby, keeps its interesting. I’ve done a decent amount of finish work with things like tru oil and different sprays but never tried some of the ideas, more stuff to try! Wasn’t sure if just waxing it would give enough protection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.