Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is my latest slingshot I've made. I like it so much I thought I'd just use it instead of my mug shot as my avatar. I made a similar one for my son to shoot and just had to make me one kinda like his, except no finger grooves in mine.
DSCN0523.JPG

Attachments

·
2,153 Posts
Yeah it's made by glueing two 3/4" oak flats together and sawing them out with scroll saw. Then I use a circular sander to rough out the shape and thin out the forks. I like the idea of laminating the wood for the forks to alternate the grain pattern to make it stronger. My son has broken two of my forks with marble hits on the frame, so I figured I better figure something out.
The bands are Linatex. They are not as fast as Tex-shooters' bands, but I like the cool red color, so what can I say? They are really nice to shoot. Tex is the guy who finially got me to try flat bands and I love them of course. I still like Trumark RR-T bands rigged to shoot over the top. They are great for thousands of shots at targets and pretty darn fast for tubes.

Attachments

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is another way I like to attach RR-T Trumarks using leather to rig for over the top shooting

Attachments

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got them from McMaster Carr web site. I think Flatband (Gary Miller) also sells Linatex band sets with pouch and all on E-Bay, or you could just contact him and buy straight from him.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Do you prefer the Linatex VS or the standard Linatex?
Here are the spec differences that I found on their site:

Types: Linatex/Linatex VS
Hardness (IRHD): 38/40
Modulus @ 500% (MPa): 2.0/3.2
Tensile Strength (MPa): 25 (3618 psi)/21.5 (3118 psi)
Elongation at Break: 830%/750%
Tear Strength (N/mm): 44(250 lbsf/in)/43(245 lbsf/in)
Specific Gravity: 0.96/0.95
Resilience: 83%/83%

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I get part #86085K101 from McMasters, thats all I know about it, besides that I really like how it shoots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Beautiful job Smitty! I like odd ball woods alot, but there is still something about good ol' oak grain that catches my eye! Scary

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks maan! I laminate them now to increase strength by grain variation.

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Some really nice frames Smitty!!!! Excellent work.I think you're becoming like me,you have just as much fun making them as shooting them!!!!!!!
Flatband

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the complements guys. I really like shooting my slingshots more than making them. I've made maybe something like fifty frames because of my injured left hand, trying to make one that didn't put too much stress in one place. The whole hand was crushed and every bone with it. The ball-joint in my thumb was powered and couldn't be fixed, so I've experimented quite a bit on frames that "FIT" the hand. But, I haven't used a slingshot since the injury and only recently have I started trying to shoot one again. At first, it hurt so bad I could only use rubber bands, but now about a year later of starting to shoot again I am actually shooting with very little pain. My left hand has gotten stronger and now I can shoot about 200 rounds a day with normal strength bands.
I do "work out" by stretching slightly stronger bands mornings and evenings when the weather is bad. Best of all, I have found I can actually hold any frame now and shoot it. It amazes me... more than thirty years after the injury my left hand is still getting better. If not for my mothers' stopping them, the doctors were just going to cut it off and not have to worry about gangreen setting in. It really feels like a personal victory to be able to participate in this very fun sport.

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Man, I didn't know about your hand-sorry to hear that. Smitty ,have you given a Wrist-Braced model a try? My current Slingshot of choice is a Crosman Vortex,modified a little,and loaded with flats of course. I had to let the Ergo go for awhile in favor of this because of a "Frozen Shoulder" that also compressed a nerve in my left arm and makes it shake a little-not good for competitive shooting. It will go away on it's own but can take up to 3 years! The last 2 tournaments I was in I used Wrist Braced models and I was able to compete. Might help you out Bud. I'd be glad to set you up with some advice on re-working a P-51 or Vortex or any other Wrist Braced job you might like. It takes a whole lot of stress off your injured hand.Good luck Bud! Gary

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Smitty, I will make my first prototype of the gloveshot today. If my imagination does not fool me, then this model would not need much pressure from the thumb OR the fingers. Most of the force is on the palm and back of the hand.

If that works out, I will gladly make one more of the final prototype and send it to you, if you like.

Regards

Jörg

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joerg I would consider that one of the highest honors of my life! I haven't even considered a totally different type of grip. I would love to try it and see if it would make my shooting time pain free. That would be wonderful! Wearing a glove helps a lot, but my thumb still has a hard time, and pistol grips put bad pressure on it. I can shoot a Saunders Hawk with light bands, but it gets to me too after a short while. The easiest slingshot I've found for me to hold are the small Dankungs, so now that is what I'm working with. Thank you for the help!

Flatband...Mr. Miller, you have helped me so many times with advice and examples of slingshots that if it wasn't for you, Joerg, Tex,Mel,and Geko, I probably would have given up by now. This is why I love to visit these forums, because I feel we are an international brotherhood of people pulled together by our enjoyment of such a great sport. Thank you all so much!

I hope to also help and encourage others the way I have been helped by all of you!

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Hey Smitty,that Glove Shot Slingshot will work also Bud. The stress, like Joerg said, will be directed at the back of the hand and wrist-thumb won't be affected. I have to come up with a nickname for that frame. Golveshot, Snaffle- I'm thinking THE HANDSHOT or PALMSHOT/ Whatchatink guys?
Flatband

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah Flatband I think it will make it where I can actually shoot without pain! But Hey!...Wait a minute! Don't they say..."NO PAIN NO GAIN"? Does that mean I won't get tighter and tighter groups when I'm target shooting?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts