Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Google “Leach Trench Catapult.”

Here is a Wikipedia article to help get you started:

These sorts of questions are asked Here from time to time - usually for a school project. If you are willing to tell us about the purpose of your question, we may be able to provide more specific assistance.

Good luck w/ this project.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I need to launch ball attached to a rope similar to a grappling hook. I appreciate your inquire
You aren’t attempting to become a superhero are you? Cuz I can tell you, that’s a hard life… 😉

Hmmm, a grappling hook ball. Well that makes things a bit more complicated. 🤔. I think you could still do it with the device Tobor8man suggested but you’d have to be mindful of how the rope uncoils.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I’m not exactly sure but I would start by looking up Leach trench catapult on YouTube and trying to search for schematics online. Another member might be able to offer more info or a different option. I think we might still need a bit more information about your project though. Rope width, length and weight, what the project is for and how it will be used. Any details you can provide will make it easier for us to help out.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
my neighbor ,a tree cutter uses a modified daisy SS to shoot a lead fishing sinker with masona string over tree branches and then uses the masons string to pull a rope up over the branch to tie off to,the weight isnt nearly apound but its pretty heavy,oh and he uses double banded daisy yellow tubes as well,strong old guy,i will see him tomorroh and give him your question,he probably can help

·
Registered
850 Posts
Sandstorm has it right - there are some youtube videos of reproduction Leach Trench Catapults.

Jorg built a replica (let me show you its features)

Here is another one:

I think that these are bigger than what you are looking for - but you may be able to get some ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Yeah what the heck Jorg no wrap and tuck?! Did you notice that one was TTF and the other was OTT?

Unfortunately @Nora18 I’m not able to offer any further help. The only other idea I can think of are those commercial devices used to launch water balloons. I’m not sure if that would get you the distance you would need though and the rope aspect adds further difficulty. I think Tobor8man has the most knowledge on this one.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Having just said that I can't help I looked at my own avatar picture That shows me at our Candy Catapult that we use to shoot candy for the kids at the Windscape Kite Festival in swift Current Saskatchewan. It is made from 2' steel pipe bent on a pipe bender and welded. It uses Doubled up latex tubing with a fabric pouch. I don't know if it would launch a 1lb ball 30 yds but with more rubber it might. I have no idea what your budget is but maybe a simple catapult such as this might work. You will have to experiment though. Is this a physics project? Can you find someone who can weld and bend the metal for you? Be careful when building this stuff. Good Luck again.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
talked with Armando-my neighbor- and he just scratched his head and said "it could be done"maybe with some spear gun tubing and metal pipe [welding] but he's never shot more than the 3 oz lead weights,sorry i cant be more help,sounds like an interesting project

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m not exactly sure but I would start by looking up Leach trench catapult on YouTube and trying to search for schematics online. Another member might be able to offer more info or a different option. I think we might still need a bit more information about your project though. Rope width, length and weight, what the project is for and how it will be used. Any details you can provide will make it easier for us to help out.
Sandstorm has it right - there are some youtube videos of reproduction Leach Trench Catapults.

Jorg built a replica (let me show you its features)

Here is another one:

I think that these are bigger than what you are looking for - but you may be able to get some ideas.
THANK YOU!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.