Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know that on Do-it style molds, if you have your timing and mold heat right, that there is a way to cast without having to trim the sprue. All you do as soon as you pour the lead is to turn the sprue cavity dowm and tap the mold (at a angle) on a piece of soft wood and the sprue cavity and the sprues will break away from the balls. I don't know if it will work on all of that style, but I know that it works on some. -- Tex

·
Registered
855 Posts
A couple other casting tricks:

1. Hold a candle up to the mold and let the flame blacken the insides of the cavities (this carbon "soot" will make the finished balls stick less).

2. When you have your lead melted in the pot, add a small glob of beeswax (pea size on a small pot, M&M peanut size on a larger pot). It helps the lead flow better, and helps the dross (unwanted impurities) seperate and rise to the top to be skimmed off.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great tips Pelletter, I just did not think to add them. You can use a little spray Pam (one time when you start) to the mold for a anti stick also. Just a little and not near the the molten lead. -- Tex

1 - 3 of 3 Posts