Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first ever attempt at working with leather...and what a challenge! This is sloppy I know, but I intend on improving. It is deer skin, with deer skin lace. I decided to wrap my solid osage shooter. I drove about a half hour away to Tandy leather, and this is what I settled on getting. The manager said this stuff is very durable. It is really soft to the touch, and I like how it feels when shooting. I plan on attending some workshop classes at Tandy Leather on Saturdays to learn more about working with this stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to learn how to lace better, and different lacing techniques, where exactly to make the lace holes and how big to cut the patterns. It's hard to determine how much the leather will stretch and so forth and so on. I spent just as much time from start to finish on the leather, as I did making the slingshot.

·
Registered
855 Posts
At least it looks like you left enough room on this one that you'll be able to snug it up should the leather stretch further. One of the first things I tried to wrap with leather was a knife handle. I got it all nice and snug and evern and within a few days it was slightly loose, but I hadn't left enough space to snug it up anynore so I had to cut one end shorter and repunch the holes.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that's another thing...I really didn't want to have the seams touching, even though the store manager suggested too. However, I figured if the leather stretched that far, it would be ok to have the seams touching. I kinda wanted to have some wood showing in the seam area to expose the beauty of the wood. Again though, knowing how big to cut the pattern to acheive this, is an art in itself. Seeing some of the leather they have, I've got some ideas spinning for future projects.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks good, working with leather is fun and Tandy has everyihing you will need. If the leather on the slingshot stretches alot you can wet it a little to shrink it some.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...If the leather on the slingshot stretches alot you can wet it a little to shrink it some.
Yeah...they told me that as well.

I may re-do the stitching tomorrow to a different style, where the strand runs through each hole instead of the cross stitching. So it will be like ///////, instead of XXXXX.

·
Super Moderator
6,635 Posts
I think it looks great Bud! Ya gotta love leather!
Flatband

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I used to work with leather years ago making gun holsters and knife sheaths. The usual way I would approach this type of project was to work with the leather wet as it will stretch more when wet, then when it dries out it is very tight and will stay that way. The gun or knife is forced into the wet leather to form the leather to a custom fit after everything is all stitched up. I seldom used lacing though, I used a sewing tool with very strong string used for leather. I made a sorta vise out of wood to hold the leather right at the seam with a foot operated set-up to hold the clamp shut. When I let off on the foot pressure the clamp opened up. This way the needle of the sewing tool could easily be pushed through the wet leather right along the edge of the clamp jaws. A separate string is used along with the sewing tool to lock the stitches. The clamp was curved so that it had about a 3/8" contact area and was about 6" wide. I'm only mentioning this for extra food for thought because that lacing you did looks good.
I think you did a very good job on your slingshot. It has a lot of "COOL FACTOR". You sure have made some nice shooters.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Hmmm, I love it Jim. -- Tex

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's awesome Jim! I can't see nothing wrong with it besides the leather stretching over time like you mentioned. I too was also interested in Tandy's workshops. I was interested in making designs and patterns on leather, but with time and life I couldn't make the class. Maybe another time. I'm sure you'll be happy with the results on similar future projects. The type of stitching you mention would expose more of the slingshot frame. I was thinking that might cause the leather to wrinkle around the areas such as the forks? Give it a try. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I did change the stitching today, and also wet the leather. I like the new stitching better. You don't have to use as much, and it pulls the leather straight, allowing it seems, for a better stretch. Only thing I could've done different, is to run the straight stitch over top, right now the straight stitch is on bottom.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts