Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Here are two leather mugs that i have just made, the first one i made was the tall skinny one, holds 16 oz. I pre-punched the holes on this one and that was a mistake, the thread didn't fill the holes enough and required a lot of wax work to get it to seal. The second one is the tapered one and this one turned out real nice. on this one i didn't pre-punch holes, just a needle. this was a lot more work but made a much better product. the second one holds 24 oz. both are dipped in melted parrafin to seal them. For some reason the blue moon seemed like it had a bit of a strange flavor to it, could have been my imagination. I'll just have to drink more beer to get to the bottom of that.

Anyway, i think these are a much more dignified way to enjoy a cold one. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
leather drinking vessels have been around for centuries, when dipped in hot parrafin wax they are as hard as a rock.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks whipcrack, i had looked at pine resin, but i already have a coffee can full of wax, so thought i might as well use what i've got. Does the resin make the leather as hard as wax does?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Pine resin will set rock hard, so hard it becomes brittle; people add a small amount of charcoal, or grass or fat, to add a little flex and strength. The American Indians were using it for centurys.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The Gopher,

Beer is bad!!! You better drink it all before somebody else gets hurt. Hahahahahaha

·
Registered
604 Posts
The Gopher,

Beer is bad!!! You better drink it all before somebody else gets hurt. Hahahahahaha
Excellent bit of advice my friend!

And to you Gopher: those are really well made!
I dabble in leatherwork, but I shy away from the thicker "saddle" leather like you have there. It's so difficultbto work with!
Do you want to make me a slingshot belt mount carrying pouch? I got about 2999 other members who might buy one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts