Slingshots Forum banner

Let’s say we are at a slingshot tournament and we having conversations on slingshots

3K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Sandstorm 
#1 ·
I start a conversation on my preference of slingshot material. For the type of shooting I do, my personal favorite is 1/4 G10. I like thicker G10, but since I pinch grip the 1/4 G10 fits into the crease in my thumb and the crease in my index finger. I like aluminum material second.

#6 ·
I’d probably settle into my SPS or my PortboyPlinker unless something wasn’t working out that day. Then I’d challenge every competitor to put their favorite frames into a bag, randomly mix up the bags, then challenge everyone to pull a slingshot out of a bag and go for a ‘Best of Ten’ at 10meters. For those scaredy-cat’s that don’t want to risk one of their frames being handled by a misfit, they can opt out with a $10 bill in the fishbowl. The fishbowl gets split between the shooter and the owner of that frame. Then we can sit around and debate our favorites!

#8 ·

I find that I tend to like whatever I'm shooting at that particular moment, regardless of material (and I've shot many types of materials) - but if I had to come up with my favorite, I think the easiest thing to do would be to look at which of my slingshots I've used the most in my life, and that HAS to be my BMG since it has lived in my front left pocket ever since I built it, and I probably come close to shooting it every single day out on dog walks. It comes with me on bike rides, to work, out to dinner, and if I went to church, it'd come with me there too.

The BMG is made from black metal (3/16" hot rolled steel) wrapped in leather cord.

#22 ·
View attachment 353374

I find that I tend to like whatever I'm shooting at that particular moment, regardless of material (and I've shot many types of materials) - but if I had to come up with my favorite, I think the easiest thing to do would be to look at which of my slingshots I've used the most in my life, and that HAS to be my BMG since it has lived in my front left pocket ever since I built it, and I probably come close to shooting it every single day out on dog walks. It comes with me on bike rides, to work, out to dinner, and if I went to church, it'd come with me there too.

The BMG is made from black metal (3/16" hot rolled steel) wrapped in leather cord.
I might be mistaken but didn’t you make your frame out of an industrial door hinge of some sort?

#15 ·
For me its a shared first place with natural wood oversized forks (nattys) got to have a tru-oil though 👌🎯 and my white and coloured chopping board cattys .I have used a few different brands of choppers and although they where all strong enough and fairly easy to work with the whites and coloured the only ones I will use now they have a small fine checkering on them and I leave it on the areas that aren't getting shaped or contoured and looks amazing with the shaped areas smooth and the flats with the check and the grip you can have on them even when wet is outstanding 🎯👌👊👍 oh and lanyards are for lady's and men that use instructions when building something 🤣🤣👊👌🎯👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

#17 ·
Our imaginary conversation is an opportunity for me to despair over participants attending the imaginary tournament in a relative state of undress (shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps). I imagine attending in Edwardian era slingshot togs; slouch hat, Harris Tweed sport-coat, silk neckerchief, gabardine plus fours, worsted wool socks and sturdy leather lace-ups. My imaginary appearance lends an air of dignity to my favorite slingshot - a vintage wrist rocket, retrofitted with modern flat bands and a DIY pinch pouch.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

#18 · (Edited)
Wow, that's quite specific! And betting you would look fantastic. But be forewarned, I tend to lean in that "relative state of undress" direction without being a nudist. I'll most likely be there in cargo shorts and a t-shirt (probably not brand new or well pressed, but with an appropriately snarky comment on the shirt if I can find it). Sandals, old running shoes, or low top hiking boots depending on what is in store for the day. Not to worry though, I will have jeans, a pull over, and some sort of wind / rain shell in the car in case the weather changes.

#23 · (Edited)
Myself, I have big hands and like the slingshot to fill my hands & have exaggerated thumb/finger brace points ... I don't think I would prefer a super thin framed G10 slingshot (although I think G10 is really cool & would like to delve into that one day). For what I do (targets), portability / pocket carry isn't important, so wood seems to make the most sense. I'm open to trying new things, but I've gotten so used to my 3/4" thick frames, I think it would take me a while to get comfortable with a thin frame...

#25 ·
Okay, y’all know what I’m gonna say! I’m a metal guy of course, my preference is anodized aluminum with bronze accents for shock absorption and stability. Wood and g10 come in at a tie for second place. I don’t like a lanyard hole, as I feel it takes away from it and a properly fitting frame does not need a lanyard as well a lanyard around my wrist or hanging from the handle is very distracting. Oh…and plastic slingshots aren’t real slingshots, let’s keep plastic for Tupperware 🤣

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.