Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The one drawback to not making your own pouches is the availability of your favorite pouch. I’m a big fan of if aint broken, don’t fix it. I always like to have a backup plan, so I guess Im looking for a pouch backup.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Hahaha... I use Warrior laminated Microfiber Knight & Samurai pouches.

But I also love any roo pouches and the Supersure as well.

And one time I reclaimed some big patches of some couch material. It was awesome. But neither me nor the maintenance man/friend couls identify it.

I believe it was expensive. On my maintenance man/friend's advice was to roll it and freeze for at 3 days in case of pests.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't like the small pouches from China. I understand it gives higher efficiency. But the way I shoot, most of the time, I have extra energy to spare from my bands. Bigger pouches act like airbrake to lessen the slapping on my hand.

Microfiber is fine. It is affordable. Good enough for me. But I don't like the plain kind the Chinese are selling cheap. I like the one with artificial leather backing.

I tried making pouches out of leather from my old boots. They don't last. Gradually they degrade and pull shots astray in the process. No longer do that.

I trust the pouches carried by simpleshot.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I'm not good enough for it to matter. When I get name pouches, I usually put them on trades and give-away's. I make the ones I use from leather upholstery and there is a red leather recliner on the curb a couple of blocks away. :cookie: Me Want! :panic:
That's amazing just so Im getting you right you're saying you shoot cheap leather yourself and give away your quality pouches?

You're a kinder man than I!

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,272 Posts
Back a few years ago I used the standard size pouched about 5/8"ish wide and 2 5/8"ish long for everything.

I find myself using that size much, much less as I'm shooting smaller ammo and find a 43mm-55mm long x 13mm-15mm wide pouch is great for 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" steel. I use micro fiber exclusively for this smaller ammo, I have very little pouch weight, they wear like iron and are about .30c -.35c each.

When I shoot anything above 3/8" round, I usually go to my leather pouches. 5/8' marbles, lead oval sinkers, 7/16", 1/2" steel all use a leather pouch.

wll

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I started out roughly 8 years ago with quite large homemade leather pouches on my first board-cut slingshots, but gradually made them more in accordance with the ammo size being used. The leather I use came in bags of cut leather remnants sold by the fabrics department of a large retail store: plenty of stock for years to come.

The 2018 slingshot competition in Italy was when I first tried the Chinese slingshots with their microfiber mini-pouches calibrated for 7 to 8 mm steel ammo, which is apparently the mostly used caliber during competitions in China - doubtlessly thanks to its flat trajectory, but also because required band draw weights can be kept to low levels i.e less shooting fatigue during training sessions. In contrast to leather pouches, most microfiber pouches do not appear to lose their initial shape and length under repeated tension. Leather has a certain degree of natural elasticity, and deforms quite rapidly under tension, depending on its type and thickness.

From a purely performance related point of view, assuming identical shapes and weight, it seems to me that there should be almost no difference between microfiber and leather pouches, albeit that the significantly reduced elasticity of microfiber should technically increase the power output ever so slightly - something that would need to be tested under specific conditions by the number enthusiasts among you.

From my personal experience, pouch length and size should match the caliber of the steel ammo (or other suitable slingshot ammo) as closely as possible. An oversized pouch increases the potential for aerodynamic flutter, and thus a possibility of smaller sized (lighter) ammo moving off-center inside the pouch after the release, with associated risks of erratic ammo flight and potential fork hits. A larger pouch with a strong band set used for excessively light ammo is also a recipe for rather painful hand slaps. The "one size fits all" does not apply to slingshot pouches, like for tubes and flat bands in the essential draw weight (power) to caliber (weight) equation for optimized performance. Moreover, a narrow fork with a super wide pouch generally spells trouble too.

I use homemade leather pouches to shoot larger ammo of different kinds, but really do like the small Chinese microfiber pouches when it comes to 10 yard target shooting, as they enable a precise and consistent thumb and index finger pinch without deforming under elastic tension, and are perfectly calibrated for the 7 to 8 mm ammo I use. They are cheap to purchase too.

I should add that the center holes of some of the Chinese microfiber pouches are too small to efficiently center the steel ammo they are intended for, which will result in erratic ammo flight; using a leather hole puncher to increase the hole diameter very slightly will work wonders in accuracy if you are faced with that problem. A good test to determine a good pouch center hole size is to place the steel ammo concerned on the center hole with the pouch held upright, and then changing the angle of the pouch sideways to see at what point the ammo rolls off.

A pouch center hole roughly one third of the diameter of round ammo ammo being used yields good results from my experience.

My 2 cents worth... B)

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
I cut my own with pouch dies, I prefer to use kangaroo hide but also like to experiment with other leathers :)

Reactions: skarrd and Tag

·
Super Moderator
1,107 Posts
Reactions: skarrd and Tag
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.