Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all want that one slingshot that makes us the best???? Most of us know what Rufuss Hussy Shot, I would like to know what Blue Skeen and others used to shoot. A friend of mine (MJ) told me of Blue Skeen showing him how He used a slingshot to skip a rock across water????????

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
When I started shooting slingshots... less than 10 years ago.... and after Blue's era....

The World Record, which is most soda pop cans shot in a minute from 10 meters, was only 10.

European Championships smallest target was 10cm (a touch less than 4 inches) and the winner would usually hit about 90%.

The Chinese Championships had looped tube shooters almost exclusively, and their smallest target was about the same as the European's.

In America at that time, the targets for the "National Championship" smallest was the center bull on paper which was 2.25 inch in diameter followed by less value rings on the way out from center.... and when the ECST started in 2009, it took a similar skill level to compete in the top tier.

Move forward 10 years and.... Tournaments worldwide are far harder to compete in successfully.

The smallest targets are now 4cm (about 20% of the actual area size of a 10cm target) at most tournaments, and if you can't knock that down every time when it's your turn, then you probably won't be in the top tier (if you leave the 4cm target standing, the it's 10 points out of a possible 30, to large of a deficit to allow).

The most successful Chinese shooters shoot like we do, same hold styles and using the same type of elastics on the same type of slingshots that we originally developed.... The most successful European shooters are also shooting like we do... and accuracy has increased everywhere.

Even the official World Record is now 26 soda cans, with a select few able to hit up to 30 unoffically!

Looking at it purely by the numbers... overall, it's about 80% harder to compete successfully now, compared to 10 years ago.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Well I think that is true Bill and i know that shooting in a tournament is different than shooting without competition for sure! However I saw my wife shoot a 1 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch balloon 13 times in a row from twenty meters and a few of the times it was still swinging a little bit. Another time we were shooting at one of those little balloons from 20 meters and friend of mine was stand talking to me and watching. She missed the first shot and he said if you would blow up that balloon a little you might hit it more! With that she shot it four times in a row and then he said "or maybe not". :hmm:

Reactions: Tag and KawKan

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Well I think that is true Bill and i know that shooting in a tournament is different than shooting without competition for sure! However I saw my wife shoot a 1 1/4 by 2 1/4 inch balloon 13 times in a row from twenty meters and a few of the times it was still swinging a little bit. Another time we were shooting at one of those little balloons from 20 meters and friend of mine was stand talking to me and watching. She missed the first shot and he said if you would blow up that balloon a little you might hit it more! With that she shot it four times in a row and then he said "or maybe not". :hmm:
That is for sure.... My Wife can out shoot me every day of the week, and even on some parts of a tournament... in fact, if the tournament only consisted of Spanish knock down type targets, she'd probably be one of the top shooters in the world.... BUT, put the pressure of shooting in front of a group and then at a large variety of targets, like we do at tournaments, and I can usually come out ahead at the end.

BTW, Daranda can hit a 3/4" about 90% of the time first try.... and has hit a series of 3/4" targets of up to 15 in a row without missing.... 15 is all we have out there, so she might have been able to hit more if we had more!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
That is for sure.... My Wife can out shoot me every day of the week, and even on some parts of a tournament... in fact, if the tournament only consisted of Spanish knock down type targets, she'd probably be one of the top shooters in the world.... BUT, put the pressure of shooting in front of a group and then at a large variety of targets, like we do at tournaments, and I can usually come out ahead at the end.

BTW, Daranda can hit a 3/4" about 90% of the time first try.... and has hit a series of 3/4" targets of up to 15 in a row without missing.... 15 is all we have out there, so she might have been able to hit more if we had more!
There is a reason Daranda is among my favourite shooters ????

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, I was privileged to assist Blue Skeen on several of the 'woods" shoots at ECST meets, and also had many conversations with him. I'm not sure of the size of the paper target, but he told me, when a young guy at the top of his game, Blue hit a bullseye 150 consecutive times at 33' ;not sure if this was an official contest, but it was witnessed & apparently recorded. Blue told me often that he usually preferred his simple homemade tree fork shooters, gum rubber bands, and 1/2" steel. I know when he (rarely) had problems at the Woods course with his more recent, elaborate "long John" shooter, out came the little tree fork from his back pocket! I have a photo that he gave me of a "catch" of 19 stream running salmon that Blue took with his tree fork and 1/2" steel (as he smirked "no, that wasn't completely legal, but those fish shouldn't have been there-improperly stocked- and were interrupting my regular fishing!!")

1 - 8 of 8 Posts