Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thoughts;
back in 1974 when I was eight years old I lived in on a small farm.
Sometimes a kid who goes to a small town school and lives so deep in the country can feel a bit secluded and bored (No TV, no computer and no video games!)
I learned early to Never share feelings of boredom with my parents as they were very harsh and believed in hard work and hard discipline; If I appeared to look lazy they would be happy to cure my boredom by having me cut wood, sort coal or weed the 3 acre garden. There was one person that always seemed to empathize with me and that was my grandfather.
My grandfather was a strong hard working man and was very kind to all, he was an avid hunter, fisherman trapper, as well as an accomplished rancher, carpenter and farmer.
Our small family farm was very self sufficient and rarely relied on outside resources for help, nourishment or entertainment.
One summer day I was walking in the woods with my grandfather in order to make space from my parents discipline and I quietly voiced to him my need for adventure and entertainment in some other way than weeding the garden or cutting wood. The first thing that he taught me was how to make a slingshot using a pieces of vine maple that we carved with my first pocket knife (He had given to me!) it was a Buck Rancher model folding knife.)
We cut the green vine maple and then found some old inner tube rubber in the barn, he showed me how to cut and add a leather pouch made from the top of my boot tongue! We tied it all with the cotton string from a chicken feed sack

It was HeII to pull the black rubber bands and the rock never shot too fast or to far, but it was an intro to slingshots and it was also an intro into thinking: meaning, I kept thinking how to make the simple device shoot farther and better.
My grandfather continued to teach me how to be self sufficient and to think for myself he taught me hunting, fishing, and trapping with leg hold and snares.
He taught me how to stay busy and work hard without the same method that my parents employed.
The next year I received a "Wrist Rocket" slingshot and a new Buck folder. I was very happy, but I'll never forget the kindness and skills that my grandfather shared on that summer day while we built my first slingshot.
I have built many board cuts and wire frames since then, but I have still been missing something...
Yesterday I completed my first natural frame since 1974. I thought of my grandfather as I used my knife to clean the bark and quietly sand the wood, allowing it to maintain it's natural strong shape and organic beauty, I'm very proud of it.
Strive to be that grandfather and you will never be forgotten.
This one's for him.

William Edward Boursaw 1903-1993 (RIP)
Charles "Duke" Morris "justplainduke"

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Great post and I commend you for the nice tribute to a good man

·
Registered
23 Posts
Consider yourself lucky for having a Grandfather like that, Duke. I also had a Grandfather like that, and I'm thankful for the time(albeit brief) that I had with him. Memories that NO amount of money could buy from me!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the nice comments. I was having a moment of nostalgia, that slingshots really bring back to mind. A simple device and a simple peaceful time that I recreate every time I step into my workshop or up to my shooting gallery.

·
Registered
149 Posts
your parents sound just like mine, even saying mum would you like a cup of tea would be greeted with 'well son if your bored ............ ' and that would be the rest of my day taken up with chore's.

Parents like that do get you out thought don't they! i seemed to spend most my time avoiding going home and im sure you must have been the same, when home only ment disapline and hard work.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your slingshot

Your grandfather seemed to be one great guy.
My grandfather of my father's side died in the 2nd world war so I never got to know him and I never had a close relationship to my other grandfather though I believe he is still a great man. But he lived too far away to get in a more intense relation.

btw: Your taxidermy works are great too! Kind of spooky but really cool!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts