Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Learning
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found the nice fork at a friends house. It's a variety of light walnut and is very hard. This slingshot was my first venture into natural forks. They are a lot of fun to make. I never would of guessed what was under the fork of this slingshot. To bad that it's a bit of shaped. First thing when I got home from my friends house I started to carve the shape out, and it shrunk. So I put it in the microwave for a two minute session. All of the sudden I heard a loud explosion and notice the microwave door blew open and smoke was coming out. So I went up to the microwave and there was this red liquid everywhere(how weird). So I cleaned that mess and started sanding. I finished It in poly urathane with four coats. Sorry for the bad pics. Can't wait to shoot when I overcome the flue. Dan

·
Registered
733 Posts
Dan it looks like a cool fork to me. Walnut is always good. Fork tops look nicely smoothed out. Did you band it up and shoot it yet? I have been making slingshots since July, and just in the last month started shooting them before finishing. It gives me the chance to really check out the grip and make changes if needed. Don't know why I did not do it before, DUH! Dayhiker and JMPSLNT can give a better review of it I have made only a few naturals. Did the microwave survive?

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,144 Posts
I smoked out my microwave too and the smell took weeks to go away. My slingshot was on fire. I put it in for 10 minutes and went outside, the house was full of smoke when I came back inside. I never said I was a smart guy.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Where that's a bit on the thin side, I'd be afraid of what the microwave might have done to it. Could have been burnt out on the inside and be dangerously weakened. I'd put it to a test.

Very nice looking fork, though.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
I'd agree with DH on it being a bit slight in frame, yet if you deem it sound, then so be it, I have no right to argue as I can't see it first hand....

Good job overall, although in the future I would suggest avoiding the microwave. About 3 of my last 5 naturals have been dried using an unnatural speedy process. Yet, for 2 of those 3 I gave them about a month to dry naturally to start off. From my experiences to do a "fast" dry I would suggest a long bake on the lowest setting in the toaster oven or the oven. This has worked for me, as you are basically "sun baking" them, which is practically thinking, is slower, safer, and more thorough.

Some people think I microwave my forks, I do not, baking seems to work better.

Good luck with it, you can never have enough slingshots! Hope that helped....

Cheers -John

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
It looks good from what I can see here on the computer. My final test for a slingshot fork is to give my every ounce of strength in the attempt to break it. If it can survive that then it should be trustworthy.

I admit that I have cut some and then left them laying where I found them as for some reason I felt I couldn't trust them even though they didn't break......you don't want a fork coming back at your face!

Now that you have a working piece you should begin a fork stash where they can naturally air-dry. This is what I do; I've never done one in the microwave.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For what its worth -- I'm an extreme newbie but I sealed the ends of a fork with Sally Hansen Hard as Nails to stop rapid longitudinal water loss along the vessels, then put the fork in a ziploc oven bag, microwave lowest setting about 40 seconds, took it out turned the bag inside out , repeated 4 or 5 times and then , still warm dunked it in a tub of linseed oil for a couple of days. No cracks or checks.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
I have boiled absolutely fresh forks in heavily salted water for an hour and let them dry for a day or two, then carved them up and treated with as many coats of raw linseed oil as they could take. I have had only one or two crack during this process.

I have also put a few fresh forks in the microwave inside a plastic bag for 30-second sessions, with 20-30 minute cool-downs between until no moisture accumulated in the bag. I lost one so far, because I stopped the process a bit too soon.

I'm not a big fan of air-drying for the same reason I don't buy green bananas -- I might not live long enough to see them ripen, haha!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.