Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's 2 very solid looking blanks of genuine Lignum Vitae. This stuff is the real thing, not Argentine re-plants. These blanks were cut from boards that sat in a lake for over 100 years. They will have some kind of patina when finally turned into forks (which you all know I will do!). Jaybird had some Osage Orange that was at the bottom of a dam for around 70 years and he made a couple of forks from some he had and the color was awesome. I'm hoping fpr the same thing. Lignum Vitae is the hardest wood in nature. IPE (Brazilian Walnut is rated at 3400 on the Janka hardness scale,Lignum is almost a 1000 points harder at 4350. I put the 2 blanks close to my Dremel tool and the poor thing started to cry-that's pretty hard!
Cutting this wood should prove interesting! Thanks so much Henry for a very nice trade! Flatband

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
How cool is that!!!! Very interested to see what you make of them!!! Way to go Gary!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,188 Posts
Nice!
Should be interesting to see what you get from it.

As some of you know, I teach Martial Arts and I have two wooden swords I use when teaching swordplay... one is Ironwood and one is made from Lignum Vitae. During practice striking against other's wooden swords I've broken probably 20 Oak, Ash, Cocobolo and the like of their's... with almost no indention whatsoever on either of mine.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Nice!
Should be interesting to see what you get from it.

As some of you know, I teach Martial Arts and I have two wooden swords I use when teaching swordplay... one is Ironwood and one is made from Lignum Vitae. During practice striking against other's wooden swords I've broken probably 20 Oak, Ash, Cocobolo and the like of their's... with almost no indention whatsoever on either of mine.
Mushashi would have loved one ... wood was his preferred weapon.

I have a wood practice blade too, but it's nothing special, in the way of material or craftsmanship.

p.s. I studied Iaiado for a bit, before being sidelined by foot surgery ... egads, has it been 20 years already ?

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I've used LV in my knives before. It didn't cause me any problems because I was grinding with a 2HP 3-phase grinder and a P36 alox belt. If you are set up to work G10 and hardened tool steel, wood's no challenge.

Sand with a fresh and coarse belt and slow down as you work up the belts you can get a fine polish out of it.

I'd add that a hard wood is not necessarily a resilient wood, so I can't tell you if it'll make a good slingshot.

I'd love to try a natural fork in LV though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.