Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made another from the skateboard deck. This time it's a gapper with a shape evolved from previous builds. I soaked this in BLO and it developed a really deep amber warmth. The wood grain also really popped. The shape of handle made me think of the bulbous snout of a hippo, so I'm calling this my "Lil' Hippo". Gappers are kinda fun and I think I'm gonna enjoy this one!
a7248e7e3463b3323482e7016f1f8ec2.jpg
d5c6fc6a3d6771c455d66b4801690c6c.jpg
4cc01ceda32ca6b02e2753088b848f9d.jpg
7a1190d1ac818c3fdb4d2b86ecf513f3.jpg
f0d9c2d072c92c8bc0bf71f3a9fa870e.jpg

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a beautiful frame. I'm really loving the warmth that wood has. Would you clue me in on what a gapper is?
Thanks Mikey... It's a maple skateboard blank I bought off a China source. It was a pennyboard that has yielded 4 frames so far. I should be able to squeeze another 3 or 4 out of it I think. What I really do like about the material is the curve!

A "gapper" is basically a semi-PFS characterized by a shooting gap wider than PFS but not quite wide enough to be considered a regular frame? For me, that falls anywhere between 1" to 1 1/4". I am not completely sure who coined the term but I would guess it was MJ who popularised the concept when he built the original gapper with a 1" gap. He also has a jade green G10 custom made by Eric Au and there are videos of him shooting that TTF! Yup, TTF through a 1" gap! I like gappers because they can be shot like a PFS, are a lot more forgiving and can be aimed when I want to.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been through a variety of finishes, Tru Oil being the latest, but have now dropped em all and gone back to good ol BLO baths.

Beautiful frame too. You clearly have a knack.
Yeah... I realise now that other so called penetrating oil and varnish mixtures never quite get in as deep like BLO. I would suffer a bit of impatience anxiety waiting for the BLO to dry though! .. I've been trying a few finishes and building up an inventory as well but never managed to get my hands on any TruOil. I've put a few coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish over the BLO on this one. The Minwax stuff is idiot-proof, it builds-up flat and dries clean and fuzz free.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Most any gun shop should have some TruOil. Pricey, but a small bottle goes a long way. Saw a post where you can make own - it apparently has BLO and an oil based polyurethane in the mix, so you could have a stab at concocting some as others have.

I was initially very impressed with it, quick dry and glossy if you allow it, but the gloss soon wore off, both metaphorically and in reality. Stinks and doesn't seem to penetrate much at all, but it has its adherents in gun stock world. Had some old ply frames I gave away six years ago come back for rebranding recently, that had been BLO'd and after a rub with 000 steel wool and an oily wipe over and wax, they came up looking better than ever. Didn't want to give them back.

Bit keen on trying some bendy ply frames. Wondering if I cut a 100 mm wide strip, a deep soak, then stress it over a form till it dries would work.....?

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
A gapper with LBS characteristics.. u know I like it !

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That would make this the LBS' awkward little cousin... the LHG? . It wants to be like the LBS when it grows up! The LBS rocks!!!
.. I think it is awesome bro !! :) .. these small frames are the ticket arent that buddy?!

·
Premium Member
11,345 Posts
Beautiful frame, flawless finish I want to commend you on your responses to all those who respond to your post. I’m especially impressed by your response to MikeyLikesIt. It’s always a pleasure to read your post and your replies

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most any gun shop should have some TruOil. Pricey, but a small bottle goes a long way. Saw a post where you can make own - it apparently has BLO and an oil based polyurethane in the mix, so you could have a stab at concocting some as others have.

I was initially very impressed with it, quick dry and glossy if you allow it, but the gloss soon wore off, both metaphorically and in reality. Stinks and doesn't seem to penetrate much at all, but it has its adherents in gun stock world. Had some old ply frames I gave away six years ago come back for rebranding recently, that had been BLO'd and after a rub with 000 steel wool and an oily wipe over and wax, they came up looking better than ever. Didn't want to give them back.

Bit keen on trying some bendy ply frames. Wondering if I cut a 100 mm wide strip, a deep soak, then stress it over a form till it dries would work.....?
Yeah, I thought about gun shops but guns are heavily controlled where I'm from. My late dad had a Walter PPK (probably coz he like the Roger Moore Bond!?) and a 12 gauge. We had to surrender them at a Police station after he passed because no one else in the household had a license for it. I could have gotten a licence but it would have cost too much to be worthwhile. I used to enjoy them while my dad was alive though... But I have to say the Walter PPK sucks cos it jammed on us all the time. Anyway, I haven't been anywhere near a gun shop since...

But I do have a "Danish oil" mix that's home made though I think I've pretty much settled on Minwax Antique Oil as my go to finish for now. It takes me just two days to finish something with it and for me that's a big plus!!!

Let us know if your method for bending plywood works!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A gapper with LBS characteristics.. u know I like it !

That would make this the LBS' awkward little cousin... the LHG? . It wants to be like the LBS when it grows up! The LBS rocks!!!
.. I think it is awesome bro !! :) .. these small frames are the ticket arent that buddy?!

Yes they are! The LBS is the EDC! I love that little frame!!!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Beautiful frame, flawless finish I want to commend you on your responses to all those who respond to your post. I'm especially impressed by your response to MikeyLikesIt. It's always a pleasure to read your post and your replies
Thanks Tag :) ...Meeting so many like minded people from all around the world and getting inspired by fantastic marksmen and passionate builders is a real pleasure for me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts