Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some tapered linatex bands that i got from Flatband a few years ago. I pulled them out recently and shot a variety of ammo through them. I just can't figure out why anyone would bother with these bands when latex and theraband are available. Am i missing something here? They seem sluggish at best. They are durable, but that is about all i can find about them that is worthwhile.

Anyone have good experiences or a linatex advocate?

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
I think there are a couple of reasons. (1) longer lasting, and (2) they can lob heavy ammo at a good speed for blunt trauma kills. Both of which tubes and chains can do, but I think linatex users are probably old timers who broke in on gum rubber which is similar.

Warning: I'm no expert! I think Tex-Shooter will be able to answer this with more authority if he sees this.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
The only thing that I have against Linatex is the sorry tolerances. That is why I stopped using it altogether. It was just too much hassle matching band sets. -- Tex-Shooter

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yeah, I think their lifespan is about the only thing going for Linatex bands. I got a set from Baumstamm that he included with a catty I bought from him and they struck me the same way: rather sluggish. Like hiker said, they may do better with heavy ammo, but I've never tried it, so that's theory/speculation on my part.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
It's funny you guys should mention Linatex. I just put on a set (last week) for shooting 3/8" ammo through my Starship. The cut is 1/2" x 3/8" x 9" and the thickness is approximately .095".The trick with Linatex is (like Tex said) very careful measurements and cutting and go thinner on the width then you would think. For instance the sheet I have is around .007" off from one side to the other. I use that to my advantage by getting " A double taper" when cutting -keeping the wide side and thicker side at the front and the thinner width and thinner thickness at the pouch. This set is flying and has the added advantage of lasting longer then my usual .030" latex cut. Linatex actually has an elongatiion of 810%-the highest of all popular elastomers (Theraband Gold I believe is 760 and Medical grade latex is 790) for slingshot shooting. When I first started using this stuff years ago, shots were going all over the place because I cut wrong and too wide-thinner is better with this stuff-well all stuff actually!
Flatband

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Gary, that last set of linatex bands you made for me was pretty awesome with 1/2" steel. But I actually like gum rubber better. Neither comes close to latex, though. But I still like them.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
How was the wear on that last set of Linatex BIll? I also love Medical grade latex but was looking for similar performance with better wear. I think I may have found the right combo-jury is still out though!
Flatband

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I have a couple of sheets of Linatex and some Linatex bandsets. Contrary to other's experience, I found them fast and snappy and haven't noted much thickness variation. As said, they lob big projectiles well, last very well and have good elongation. The biggest problem for me is the difficulty in cutting precise widths with a rotary cutter. Linatex is so thick, siqudgy and cut resistant that the blade seems not to want to cut through.

I suspect that the reasons why Linatex receives such widely varying reviews are:

Wide manufacturing tolerances, as mentioned above.

Different thicknesses. I have one sheet 1.75mm and one 2.5mm

People shooting ammunition that is too light forthe bands.

People not drawing consistently to the maximum elongation.

FYI my bands are 270mm x 17 to 14mm x 1.75, supplied by Flatband. My own bands are 220mm x 14 to 11mm by 2.5mm

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
All that I have tried to use was 1/16 inch thick Linatex and that was the thickness that I had tolerance problem with. Not with one piece but with several pieces. I think that the rubber itself is a good compound though. -- Tex-Shooter

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Perhaps i will tinker with the bands i have and see what happens. I am pleased with latex and theraband for the meanwhile. Might keep the linatex for big rocks and golf balls. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts

Well, you'll have to be more specific. Words mean things. It is hard to know what you mean about a rubber band "sucking wind".
Ok, it's lower than a rubber band and in some cases it can stick out like a buggy bumper that might attached to the behind side of a Hobo. Yea!
[/quote]
So you don't like it then.
[/quote]

Thats Right Dream Walk.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.