Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lion Mouth Slingshot

The traditional nailhead slingshot still seems to be very popular in China although many modern examples are now made from hightech plastics or stainless steel rather than wood. This attractive frame style has even caught the attention of some American slingshot shooters. I joined the club a while back when I bought a traditional POM Feihu and a hybrid Feihu frame that I still enjoy regularly. The Lion Mouth design looked a bit different so I recently ordered one from MAKarchery on AliExpress. Shipping time to central Canada with ePacket was an amazing 15 days -- only 11 business days. The frame with some yellowish bands arrived in the typical sealed white plastic shipping bag with English and Chinese labels. The contents were well padded in bubble wrap and nothing was damaged.

The Lion Mouth frame is made from ABS resin with a curvy shape that settles well in my hand. The lightly textured ABS has some sort of rubberized coating that provides a secure grip. With heavy use I'm sure the coating will eventually wear off but the frame will still be useable after this happens. For $6.77 USd I definitely can't complain. The frame has the common narrow fork tip with a healthy fork thickness from front to back. Like the Feihu, the fork is thicker at the base and tapers towards the end with the traditional nailhead button on top.

The handle on this comfortable frame has a well-rounded contour with no sharp edges or corners. It bends away at the bottom to match the shape of a slightly closed hand. The forks have a fairly low profile but I don't find them too low for safety. The fork gap is a generous 2.2" which is wider than most of my frames. When shooting I hold high on the forks and actually lean them a bit towards the target for a ball path that's even closer to my hand. This hold gives very low stress on the wrist and seems to contribute to accuracy. I use a finger hook & thumb brace hold but I found that a pinch grip is also comfortable.

The tip design is over-the-top and requires that wider bands wrap around the fork tip and completely cover the tip when at full draw. It looks different and was a big change from what I shot for many years but the style works fine and the results show that it doesn't hinder accuracy. I had no problem regularly hitting a plastic golfball from 10 yards. Unfortunately, my longer distance shooting will have to wait until the deep snow melts.

The Lion Mouth has a lot of pros but still has one obvious con. Some shooters prefer a lanyard on their frames but this model doesn't come with any attachment method. A small threaded eyelet should work fine for fastening a lanyard but would require a hole to be drilled in the bottom of the handle.

Overall I think this frame was a good purchase. The unique shape is what first caught my eye. I enjoy small frames and the bargain price was too much to resist. I'm fighting the urge to order a couple more.

Frame Details

Overall length = 116 mm (4.5")

Width across forks = 83 mm (3.25")

Fork gap = 56 mm (2.2")

Fork width = 13.5 mm (0.5")

Material = ABS resin

Total weight = 105 g (3.8 oz)

Bands = Unknown orange with 0.025" thickness

Band cut = 18 mm x 12 mm x 190 mm

Speed = 232 fps with 5/16" steel and 32" draw

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
quite different from DANKUNG's , even the surface is not the same.....

I have something similar but it has a red star instead of that oval crest. The wide fork gap is nice.
I've seen pictures of that version, can I ask if you remember where you got it?
I got it from Aliexpress.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bNfHzR8k
$5.00 vs $30.00. I would expect it to be different.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
They don't look very different to me. Here is another pic of the cheapo $7 Lion Mouth. The emblem has the same pink and blue lion face. The frame shape looks the same. The surface of the cheapo frame is textured. A while ago DanKung was giving these away with minimum orders.

The Lion Mouth on the black & red is the one from AliEx. The frame with the hand is from the DanKung web site.

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
A couple more comparison pics. Don't be too surprised if these frames come from the same manufacturer.
You're right bud, we need to remember aliexpress is mainly a supplier/wholesaler site. Not naming names but multiple times I've seen the exact same products on sites that have came from suppliers who sell said products on aliexpress. Sometimes buying from sites like aliexpress cuts out the middleman as you're buying direct from supplier. I recently bought 2m of blue and green bands from a guy on Ebay at what I thought was an excellent price then a week later I saw the exact same bands on Ali for half the price, now I know where the guy got his rolls from so now I'll cut out the middle man and buy from the supplier on Aliexpress, you get me? Haha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's interesting. The rubberized coating is missing on the SZS version (aka Lion Mouth) from Wu Jim but his web pic shows the coating. The manufacturer skipped the coating step for some reason. The reason is likely for cost savings but the online pic on Wu Jim's site should be updated so customers are not disappointed.

https://trade.onloon.net/detail?itemId=30c43808503f4e2d9bce495f64c9bae7

I had the same coating issue with my favorite little resin pincher frame. This frame is available from lots of AliEx dealers for under $4. The frame comes with cheap sights but I don't use them anyway. Here are some pics that I just took of two of my frames. One has the shiny finish and the other has the dull rubberized coating. The coating provides a nice grip & feel but also fills minor imperfections and scratches. I'm sure the coating will eventually scratch and wear off but it would be nice to get what the dealer pics show. My other two examples of this same frame also have no coating but the dealer pics show the matt rubberized coating. For $3.71 each I'm not sending them back...lol. They all shoot fine and I like the frame.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts