Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and cut out another pattern, a little pocket shooter. The width of the forks is 1.5 inches apart. So is this desigh ok, has it any flaws? Its going to be 3/4''-1'' thick when i finish building the real deal. So the question is can this smaller slingshot shoot with heavy-moderate bands and be just as proficient as a larger slingshot with wider forks.? Will this cut it and be able to kill game.
Or should this be more appropriate for hunting. Can the small one be as powerful and shoot as well as a big slingshot like this? Thanks let me know

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
that little one is ok for hunting i have used a Dankung for hunting and thats a lot smaller, its the bands that give the power, and i have found the blue thera band will take rabbit size game, jeff

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Smaller is better. My pocket shooters have gotten smaller and smaller. For me smaller has become more precise. My best shooter inside the forks measures 1-1/4 inch so my pouch length has become 2-1/2 inch long. The fork width will accomodate Tex's 3/4 inch bands. I also favor a thin shooter at 5/16 inch because it feels like its more of an extention to the hand. Fit all things according to your hand and how it feels to you.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Bottom one is too big. Top one is fine design. Make it, get some Thera Band, and shoot it -- you'll like it!

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I like the smaller one too, perfect for hunting especially with the right set of bands on it and a good pouch. Don't underestimate the importance of the pouch for accuracy. Set the big one aside...too big, I think.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Make what you like, and what feels good in your hand. Your new design is pretty much a tried and true one, if you like it go for it.
Fish sells his forks (which are similar) with some heavy duty bands and it seems to work well, just make sure the wood you use is up to snuff.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
People go on about thera band gold with 2 layers and large steel balls, ive be for the last month using a single thera gold band and using a 11m steel ball and taking rabbits,
if you can do head and chest hits you will kill them, jeff

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
People go on about thera band gold with 2 layers and large steel balls, ive be for the last month using a single thera gold band and using a 11m steel ball and taking rabbits,
Yahuh! It works well. While I do have double sets, but a nice tapered single thera gold does quite nicely. Finding myself reaching for the single banded 'pults more often than not.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I do not use double sets of bands a single band on each side works most xcellent for me.

·
11,245 Posts
Jeff, thank you so much for this info. I have been wondering about this for a long time, now. I suspected as much, but needed confirmation without experiment, as I don't get to hunt much.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Jeff, thank you so much for this info. I have been wondering about this for a long time, now. I suspected as much, but needed confirmation without experiment, as I don't get to hunt much.
[/quote]

I do a bit of pestcontrol on our local farm, i wont shoot at out i dont think i can clean kill, unless its rats, i hate them, with a smaller ball there isnt that much differance, if any, the double bands and large balls just make a mess of the meat bruse it, jeff

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Jeff,
I've found that to be so true as well. I just introduced a Single Tapered "Theraband" on my website for sell which I call the "Gold Winner!!!" It's fast and plenty strong enough for hunting as well as target shooting. It does great with up to .44 cal. lead. Whether you make them on your own or buy them from me, I think most everyone would like them.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Jeff,
I've found that to be so true as well. I just introduced a Single Tapered "Theraband" on my website for sell which I call the "Gold Winner!!!" It's fast and plenty strong enough for hunting as well as target shooting. It does great with up to .44 cal. lead. Whether you make them on your own or buy them from me, I think most everyone would like them.

[/quote]

There just the job, i found that when hunting you want to be able to pull back quick and release, more so when hunting rats they are fast, my son is a big strong lad and he used to used the double bands, but has changed not cos he cant pull them back, but cos he too likes the singles now,
They are nice bands, jeff

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok im going to tesco to get me a nice 3/4'' block of hard wood to make the pocket shooter. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Btw i looked up some topics on narrow forks, and it seems it needs more care when shooting 1.5''wide and hight inside of fork 1''. How is it, is it risky or dangerous.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
You need to pay attention to what you're doing and shoot with a flip.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I dont like small forks. I like'em wide. Less risk of getting a fork hit , more comfortable to hold ( for me ) Why risk if you dont need to ?

·
11,245 Posts
If you put your fingers up high enough, you will protect the fork...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I draw the bands back towards my cheek bone and sight down the forks, and take aim for around 3-4 seconds only then do I realease. I dont instinct shoot cause I dont have the skill yet plus its a narrow fork gotta be careful
. I really would like my slingshot to be able to fit in my pocket so i can flip it out at a moments notice. When opportunity presents itself, it doesn't take long for it to fly away. I think the wider forks wont fit in the pocket very well. Btw Dayhiker good idea, never thought of that

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
If you put a good quaility band and pouch on and put it on right you shouldnt realy hit your fork, them ones of Flatbands with th moulded pouch would stop it, ive never hit my hand or fork since i joined here and learnt to put them on right, and i'd been shooting for a good few years before i joined, im, 53 and i'm still learning, jeff

1 - 20 of 38 Posts