Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've abandoned short draws for good, I am slowly discovering that step by step, I am heading towards full butterfly. 3/4 butta feels....a bit cramped already, so I need to cut my bands longer and longer. The Chinese ruler cutters obviously don't work, as they don't allow for 35cm band lengths, so what do you all use? Normal plastic rulers? Are they durable enough? Or maybe something else?
I was thinking about finding some acrylic stuff or something, but I am not sure how to go about it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
One way would be to create your own templates using acrylic or mounting board or foam plastic sheets? Something that it rigid but you can cut easily? Then you just align rulers to the template and cut as usual with a rotary cutter. Long steel rulers would be handy!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have long steel rulers, but I am wary of using them, as I am afraid of blunting the cutter.
I need to find acrylic or plastic, thick enough ????

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use a piece of aluminum angle from the hardware store. I think it's about a 1/16" (2mm) thick by 3/4" (19mm) wide in both directions and 3' (92cm) long. I manually measure and mark the taper at either end of the band before cutting, probably one reason why I've come to prefer straight cuts.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I use a piece of aluminum angle from the hardware store. I think it's about a 1/16" (2mm) thick by 3/4" (19mm) wide in both directions and 3' (92cm) long. I manually measure and mark the taper at either end of the band before cutting, probably one reason why I've come to prefer straight cuts.
Dang Bob, I was just going to post the same thing. turn the angle iron down so it forms a teepee (A) . The aluminum will make a perfact straight edge, and the soft metal won't damage you cutter if you are careful.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the answers! I found a nice quilters ruler in AliExpress. Cheap and merry!

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts