Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a bit odd, but then again, you shoot slingshots too so you might only have one oar in water for all I know. Yet, I might a bit more odd than most because I carry a slingshot all of the time. I mean, all the time. And, I make no secret out of it. It came up chairside with my patients, over coffee with friends, during introductions to strangers, with waiters and waitresses who are silly enough to stop and chat for awhile… It comes up a lot.
[If I didn’t bring it up no one would ever know that I “carry” of course, because they’re small.
My everyday shooter is 1/4 inch silk micarta and measures 2.25 inches by 3.75 inches with 1mm bands but I often carry a 1/8 thick canvas micarta that measures 2.25 inches by 3 inches. With the first I shoot 5/16 and 7/16 steel and the second I shoot 5/16 only. Both are pre-loaded and ready to go and both are very capable.]
But, I do get the crazy look now and again and, not unreasonably, find myself having to take steps to explain my mental and emotional shortcomings.
It’s different with fellow Slingshot Shooters though because, though they know I’m crazy and I know they’re crazy, I think they should be crazier. Crazier in the “you should carry a slingshot more” sense.
Because, if you carry more and want to enough you will find opportunities to shoot no matter where you live. Discretion is the key of course but the ability to get a shot off quickly, unobtrusively and silently helps too.
There may be rabbits out in the country but there are bottle caps and leaves, loose wrappers and parks and alleys in the city. A full-on hunting kit might work out in the country but a little BB shooter with an 18 inch draw can scratch a lot of itches in the city - and be capable of dispatching the occasional small rodent if necessary.
Slingshot collecting and building is fine and dreaming of and planning for your next outing is fun too -and there’s nothing wrong with bedroom hallways and catch boxes either - but the real fun is in the shooting at different targets and different ranges. Plus pouch release skills are like trigger pull skills - they’re transferable.
Carry more and you will shoot more.

· Registered
687 Posts
Agree.
Scratches an itch.
We have a few acres here with thousands of trees we have planted and if I'm outside, its pretty well always on my Gator. And there are two frames in the storage box (one TTF and one OTT) - cause you just never know where the itch is.
Oh, and a pill bottle of bb's and a bag of clays.
Good for the soul as they say.

· Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Were do you get your micarta from?
Just look up Micarta Manufacturers. It’s been awhile since I’ve needed to buy any. When I do buy it directly from a manufacturer and I buy it by the sheet. Buying it in smaller pieces on ebay for instance is generally way more expensive. Silk is the strongest and prettiest and then canvas micarta is nice too. Paper micarta is strong enough but doesn’t look all that great and is kind of uninspiring but works.

· Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I completely agree. I carry my bb shooter with me everywhere I go as well. I can be up and shooting in 30 seconds. I can get about 100 shots in my travel sized pill bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great looking micarta shooter. 100 shots in your pocket! Ain’t that cool!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts