Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Well what can i say, look what came in the post this morning, i am made up, ZDP sent me this little beauty, im old school and never shot anything like it before, you think it was made for my hand, it has tapered thera band gold doubled and it wits with a thud, it is a very strong slingshot, it is waffer thin, he is a clever chap,
Im not one for shooting cans much but the wife and i have been drinking tins of pop all day so i have targets ha ha, i was shooting 8mm steel balls and they have shredded 8 tins, the sling shot is made of Tuffnol, im sure ZDP will be able to tell you all the techinal bits about the set up, ive shot bands about the same size as these but not with the same power, it must be the way the taper is, just like to say thankyou very much and im off hunting tomorrow with it, we have a load of crows need taking care of, they are killing the young chicks on the farms so it will be getting a proper work out tomorrow, and what ive seen of it , it will be well up for the job, jeff

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Wow ! Jeff that is Cooooool !

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Wow Jeff you got a great shooter there bud. Have fun getting close enough to the crows. I hope you have a blind set up.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Hi Jeff, it's great to hear that you are getting on well with it. I made it to test some new technology I picked up in China (those coated fabric bits under the bands). They all but eliminate friction on the for tips and between the bands and work better than Teflon blocks. For those who couldn't follow our PMs, I was chatting to Jeff about this material and decided to give him a set to test and it kind of made sense to provide it set up in a frame and bands rather than explain the complicated installation process.

The bands were intended as just demo bands for the low friction material. If I remember right, they are 8 or so inches from the fork to the pouch, made of TBG and taper from the fork width (about .75") by about 30%. Some tear resistance is added by flaring the bands bact to full width just before the pouch so that the narrowest section of band does not coincide with the tie-off point. I also compensated for the extra mass by narrowing the pouch.

The frame is made of Tufnol, or at least a local generic. Both Tufnol and this generic are undyed paper micarta (thin paper in a phenolic resin base) used for industrial structural components that need to be strong, self lubricating, chemically resistant, non-conductive and somewhat heat resistant. Tufnol isn't as strong as G10 or Carbon Fibre, but stronger than Plexiglass (acrylic) and more rigid than Lexan (polycarbonate). It has an organic feel and a wood-like lustre, especially under lacquer as this is. The strength of the material and the ergonomic shape of the fork which spreads the forces gradually over the hand and does not have specific structural weak points allowed me to make this fork thin and small.

The end result is a very small, thin and light package that wraps up and disappears into a trouser pocket like no modern commercial slingshot that I know of, yet throws a 8-12mm steel ball with a comparable velocity to Hunter Bands and with a much lighter draw force. It should be good for field work.

Shoot it with a bit of a flick. If you manage to damage it, let me know; I've got a stack of 'em in the making.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is very easy to draw back and shoots very smooth, it is the idea slingshot for fast and quick moving game, i was shocked at it power, ive just been firing 12mm steel balls at a dog food tin and it just tore right though it with easy, i dont know if its those coated fabric bits under the bands but it is a lot quieter when shooting the bands seem to flip the slingshot on its own, i cant put it down i love it, thanks jeff

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
How much for one?

Reactions: ZDP-189

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couldnt wait had to try it out, i am well pleased and so will the farmer, the crows are pulling the hens chicks to bits not now ha ha, crows were shot between 15 and 25 yard, with only 8mm steel balls, all clean kills, cheers jeff

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
LOL! Jeff, I apologise. I've been staring at your photos of the catty for a while and they looked odd, like I'd tied them the wrong way round. Then I saw your avatar and realised that I did tie them the wrong way round (you shoot with the slingshot in your right hand).

I hope they weren't too much of a bother to reverse. At least I tied with plenty of tie band.

How did you like the way I grooved the attachment area of the tips?

BTW, those were some monster shots. 25 yards? Flippin' heck!

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL! Jeff, I apologise. I've been staring at your photos of the catty for a while and they looked odd, like I'd tied them the wrong way round. Then I saw your avatar and realised that I did tie them the wrong way round (you shoot with the slingshot in your right hand).

I hope they weren't too much of a bother to reverse. At least I tied with plenty of tie band.

How did you like the way I grooved the attachment area of the tips?

BTW, those were some monster shots. 25 yards? Flippin' heck!
Yes i like the double groves easyer to put the bands on,i had no trouble turning it round, yes 25 yards but i never said how many i missed ha ha only about 3, and i dont like to bragg but one of them crows was flying ha ha lucky shot i think, i will be trying it out on rabbits at the weekend, that will be the tester for it, 11mm steel balls will do, i dont shoot rabbits unless i have a good clear shot, and for the young hunters on here, never shoot rabbits sat outside there holes, rabbits will run 3 to 10 yards sometimes even when it is a head shot, its there nerves kicking in, cheers jeff

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hey Jeff nice shooting!
Did you use those very same bands to hunt? Can you tell me the parameters plese.
Whats your drawing lenght around? Ohh I wonder how long they will last with 8mm balls .Yeahh I know I ask too much sorry mate.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Jeff nice shooting!
Did you use those very same bands to hunt? Can you tell me the parameters plese.
Whats your drawing lenght around? Ohh I wonder how long they will last with 8mm balls .Yeahh I know I ask too much sorry mate.
Thanks
ZDP will be able to answer you about the bands, put it this way i only got it yesterday and i must have had 1000 of shots with it, he has put all the details about the mesh stuff between the bands, he gave me the slingshot and bands to try out, them band hit with the power of the hunter bands but with half the energy to draw back, jeff

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Couldnt wait had to try it out, i am well pleased and so will the farmer, the crows are pulling the hens chicks to bits not now ha ha, crows were shot between 15 and 25 yard, with only 8mm steel balls, all clean kills, cheers jeff
Wow that's some serious shooting right there buddy!

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Well, what can I say? I'm thoroughly impressed both by the slingshot and the shooting. Wow!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts