Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
2019 has been a great and woeful year.

That said what is 2020 going to look like? I am not a superstitious man...but a practical one. So I train how I want to perform. I propose no resolutions but a habitual pattern forming exercise. Start out how you want to behave and carry on til it sticks.

Here's my plan...( Please share yours if you want...)

1st weekend of the new year I am taking a solo sabbatical to a isolted creek/river confluence and shooting, fishing, reading, and fire is all I will be.

My niece has been practicing her Slingery and getting nearly as good as me...so I have to stay ahead of her. She does not smack talk...but she has a smirk. hahaha...My older brother's youngest kid. She and I are going to harvest some rabbits with my brother as backnup with a .22lr just to make sure it is clean and humane. She wants to relearn butchery. I am already making her a good knife out of TN hickory, 100 year old cherry and a Morakniv blade. My nephew gives her a hard time about her knife collection. I pointed out he is just jealous and traditionally ladies had more of an eye for good belt/work knives as while the men were out playing in the woods the ladies butchered, which is not entirely accurate. But it builds the cool uncle versus big brother dynamic. Plus the big brother is only playing...and cannot buthcher like us "old men". Plus we are going to tan some hides for ammo pouches. I cannot do that in my apartment...My wife is tolerant, but not that tolerant. I probably could not take it well myself, as I recall tanning is stinky.

And I want to visit regularly. They have a shooting range and I do not. I am going to bring my .22 blank target I made after seeing Dan Hood's at SEST. She whipped me silly with rifles this week. I am going have to dust off my .20 gauge and demonstrate the benefits of a shotgun over a rifle. Aiming those is much more like a slingshot for me.

I do not lament my city living as my kids have benefitted from it. But man oh man, I have lost a step in my rural skill sets. Except fishing. That is never going to change. Flips and fishing for life!

Be well, slingshot friend.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
AW .. Pat

what would the forum be without you?

My new yrs. resolution is to never smoke a 20 dollar cigar in the company of a thrice widowed woman!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Awesome Pat!! This is the time of year I try to plan for nicer weather in the spring. Most of my list is quite simple, close-by things to do.

Paddle a cool chain of lakes and camping out. (Should take a weekend) There's a few rivers that need to be explored too.

Bushwhacking across the Pigeon River area ( Michigan's Elk herd is here) taking a small tent or hammock.

Bike Camping on a few trails I haven't visited

Etc....

So many times I just pass on the simple and local things and then another season goes by and I'll wonder why I didn't do what I've been thinking about for years, Cost and travel isn't an obstacle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
@MakoPat that's the best new year's plan I've heard, get out there.
So far I've put 19 deer on the ground with bow and arrow and would love for my 20th deer to be with one of my self bows, hand made arrows, using one of my quivers and of course to be butchered with my handmade knives, also to spend more time with my daughter's is on the cards as well.
All the best for 2020
ce8fb1ffce02dab911d598c977c9dcf8.jpg

Sent from my 4047A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts