Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
I'm looking to buy a good quality knife, that will last me many years. It needs to be about 4" long, preferably fold-able and sharp enough to cut leather, fishing baits and fillet small fish. I'm looking to spend no more than £50. Oh and it must not look threatening like it's intended for stabbing people!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
273 Posts
spyderco runs great folders with affordable prices. have a look at the h1 steel series wich is a very though steel wich does not rust under the most severe conditions (you can let it in salt water for years without any damage unlike most of self declaring stainless steels). Plus the handle are yellow or orange ginving a look of a rescue item more than a killer weapon. But is appearence.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm looking to buy a good quality knife, that will last me many years. It needs to be about 4" long, preferably fold-able and sharp enough to cut leather, fishing baits and fillet small fish. I'm looking to spend no more than £50. Oh and it must not look threatening like it's intended for stabbing people!

Thanks for your help!
Check out some of my Benchmade Designs....

Click on the image below to see the 210..

·
Banned
388 Posts

Thanks for your help!
sam asuming your over 18 keep an eye on this forum : http://ukbladesforum.co.uk/forum/index.php often seriously good knives made my the knife making elite come up for very little money,just missed a £400 bernie garland knife for £80.00 2 days ago! doh!

·
Registered
273 Posts
He said Us 50+sheepler friendly looking. That's why I second the spyderco salt series. It's a good knife (just like a delica) with an innocent appearence. Btw, shepfoot point is considered one of the most effective shape for SD purposes.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have a victorinox which i have my whole life already and no damage at all and even not a scratch still sharp and has not been resharpened since i got it and it has been used everyday for cutting wood string leather plastic so those knives are advisable

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
lol snoddy he said £50 not $800 lol
yah but ... sometimes having ones heart chains jerked by an $800 knife a $2-400 seems like a great deal. Justifications for more money on a knife become "any and all" . Much can be accomplished with a $10-20 blade until you've carried and used an elite blade...then nothing less than the best will suffice. Call me a snob if you will while I tuck one of two $350 everyday carry Benchmades in my pocket... Snody is a salesman/showman/craftsman (switch the order as you see fit as they all are first) and thats the way it is.

Good tip on the Blade forum classifieds though- most don't see the value in excellent workmanship and high quality materials.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I love knives as much as anyone, and would love to have the best made...But...I'm not in a position to spend hundreds of dollars on a knife...so I purchased a Buck 110 folding hunter when I was 15 years old and I still have it. I use it at work every day for all kinds of cutting jobs. It sharpens to a hair shaving edge easily and holds its' edge long enough to suit me. It is a very well made knife even though the steel isn't one of those high dollar blades that are on high dollar knives. I own three of them, one on my belt, one in my tool box and one in my car. I have had other guys show me their high dollar knives and they don't do any job any better than my buck except they hold their edge longer. I have a hone and strop at work and at home and it only takes me just about five minutes to get my edge razor sharp again after some hard use. I am not knocking those super knives, but usually the longer a blade holds an edge the longer it takes to get it sharp again. There are some mighty cheap knives out there with 1095 blade steel that many swear by and some with high price tags with the same steel for the blade. Old Hickory knives for one have 1095 steel and would make a mighty fine knife with a proper sheath made for it. There are also many fine knives for sale for under 100 dollars that also use 1095 steel. You just have to keep 1095 oiled where the 420 standard steel on a buck won't rust with little care. Far as I am concerned the best steel to use is S30V and you can find this type of blade for also around 100.00. I am pretty sure that Cabelas has some S30V steel knives for very good prices. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
No complaints of supposed "lesser" quality knives as I have plenty of them

Any of the Buck, Gerber , CRKT , Kershaw, Schrade ColdSteel knives can fill most any need a person would want a knife for. Throw a good multi-tool into the mix and yer set. I just have a preference to err on the custom made side. Yet I'd still love to own an Opinel and a Mora.

·
Banned
388 Posts
mind you youll need to go a long way to beat a frosts clipper,under £10.00 and a very good blade,the handle whilst looking crap is very good and you can allways change it for a wooden handle.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,622 Posts
I have many knives, as I collect folders.
I got a nice stanley trapper from tex-shooter on this site for less than $20
It is an excellent knife, and he may have more.
Check with him.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Snody is a salesman/showman/craftsman (switch the order as you see fit as they all are first) and thats the way it is.

[/quote]

Dude can I use that in my sigline??? Thats an awesome post...

Have a great weekend.....

[/quote]

That my friend is the truth! Use it if you want - Neither I, nor my words, are copyrighted
(but if a double platinum recording is made with me or them ... I demand 5% of the gross plus royalties
and a BlingShot plus a Damascus Menace. I prefer biking or walking so I'll donate the Escalade to charity )
A fine weekend to you too Sir!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Snody is a salesman/showman/craftsman (switch the order as you see fit as they all are first) and thats the way it is.

[/quote]

Dude can I use that in my sigline??? Thats an awesome post...

Have a great weekend.....

[/quote]

You Rock Bro....
Get at me anytime...361 443 0161
Much Respect from Texas..

That my friend is the truth! Use it if you want - Neither I, nor my words, are copyrighted
(but if a double platinum recording is made with me or them ... I demand 5% of the gross plus royalties
and a BlingShot plus a Damascus Menace. I prefer biking or walking so I'll donate the Escalade to charity )
A fine weekend to you too Sir!
[/quote]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts