Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great forum!

I'm a backpacker.. the type of person who cuts the handle off their toothbrush to save 3 grams.

We're a crazy bunch.

I'm looking for a slingshot because I want to entertain myself at dinner, I want to kill small game in a survival situation, and I also want a backup for if I use up my bear-spray.

I have noticed that people aren't usually posting the weights of these things (because they're all light), but some seem lighter than others. For example, there is a user named liquidebullet that has carbon fiber slingshots. I would love to find one that is 2 - 3 ounces.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I agree with the previous comments. Personally, if weight was really important, I would take a Wasp Uniphoxx.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I grew up in bear country and not only do i still live near enough to them to see one or two every few months close to home.

Also i often fish in areas heavily populated by bear and see them often in my travels. With my heart troubles im afraid i dont get out as much anymore however.. Hope you were kidding about a slingshot and bears. You wont even get your slingshot loaded before its on you. And even if it isnt bluff charging you, you shoot at it with a slingshot you will tick it off like you wouldnt believe.

I carry a 12 gauge pump loaded with Brenneke slugs for bear protection. And a 22 cal. The 22 is for when im traveling in bear country with someone. That way i can shoot the other guy in the leg and then run. OK ok im kiding about that last one. Bear spray is good to i guess but i much prefer a gun. I carry both.

Ive made the odd Coyote yip when they got a little to close for comfort but a slingshot is not for protection from much of anything.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Welcome!

I'd probably also recommend the Wasp UniPhoxx - its small and flat which make it very packable.

The other option would be the Dankung X6 POM - its insanely light - but its a little more bulky than the UniPhoxx. Its also made for looped tubes which are very durable over flat bands. I use one of these as my EDC.

I also like the Flicks McS (Kestrel) design in 10-12mm thickness - its a full-sized sling in a compact design.

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
If I were backpacking, I'd probably take an LBS with me. There are birch ply ones and also carbon fiber available. Otherwise, maybe a poly axiom though that would be a little bulkier, or a Wasp. Alternatively you could always learn to shoot frameless and all you'll only need to carry elastic and pouch bandsets.
+1 for everything urbanshooter said. Frameless would definitely be the lightest. LBS in birch ply or CF would be very light weight and packable and capable of taking game if set up and used appropriately. The only thing I'd add is you could just carry a couple bandsets and cut a natural fork from a tree at the campsite, assuming you're in a wooded area. Also, Welcome to the forum!

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/115768-birch-ply-lbs-for-sale/

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/116140-carbon-fiber-lbs-available/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Can anyone recommend a good thread about shooting frameless?

I did some research last night:

Dankung pom x6 frame: 55 grams (weighed by a user on this forum)
Uniphoxx frame: also 55 grams (according to an email from the manufacturer)

That's a really great weight, and considering those are both decent sized slingshots, which signals to me that the LBS or another design could be even lighter!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol, I appreciate all the concern re: bears. I have dealt with lots of bears in my time and all I know is that a slingshot is better than nothing! Especially if you can get a rock up in it's mouth, it'll run away.

Looking forward to finding a lightweight slingshot, hopefully one from a vendor on this forum. If I cross-post on the backpacking forums it may result in a small amount of future business for the community as well. But we're a crazy bunch when it comes to weight! People agonize over single ounces.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts