Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
I've been shooting slingshot for about eight years. For seven of those years my go-to setup has been looped Chinese tubes. For most of that time I've shot 2040s, but also 1842 and 1632.
I've also shot pretty much everything else. Flat bands in thick, thin, long, short, fat, skinny, and every other configuration. Chained rubber bands. Along with traditional big tubes. About the only thing I haven't shot is English square rubber.
I keep coming back to loops because they fit right in the sweet spot of a venn diagram that includes speed, draw weight, and longevity. Also, I shoot well with them because I've practiced a lot. If people tell you that looped tubes aren't accurate, know that the problem is them, not the setup.
I've been living in a place all summer where I don't have easy access to materials and I couldn't bring very much with me. After being in this situation, it seems ridiculous to need a roller cutter and a mat and a special ruler to cut a set of flats that will last 200 shots. I can make a set of loops with only a pair of scissors and I can do it basically anywhere. I tie mine with string but if I didn't have string I could cut a little cuff of tube and use that as a tie. And they'll last 2000 shots or more.
Are they heavier and slower than optimized tapered flats? Yep. Don't care. For what I want to do I only need a reliable trajectory out to about 25 yards, which is no problem.
I'm going back to the States soon and will be focusing on hunting. 2040 and 3/8" steel for doves and pigeons, 1842 and 1/2" for rabbits and squirrels. If I had to only have one setup it would be 2040s and 7/16" steel, which would take feathers and fur with good shot placement.
Did I mention that they're all but silent when you shoot? I can shoot down by the river at my local urban park without raising eyebrows, as long as I'm otherwise stealthy.
When I go to tournaments I usually feel like the last person on earth that shoots looped tubes. That's ok. I'll stick with my SPSs and round-top Dankungs and keep the faith until everybody else comes around :)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Nice write up MJ I too like looped 2040s. Draw light like targets tubes, hit hart like hunting tubes.

The .40 cal of slingshots lol.

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
M.J - You make a good case for full loops. This was to be my year to fully explore flats, but the biggest discovery so far is my underlying preference for tubes ... maybe bc I've used them for so long. I hunt only inanimate targets with small ammo which allows me to object visually and philosophically to full loops - I prefer a clean single tube with a small loop, tuned to full gallop at reasonable target distances. Different strokes but don't we agree, it's all good.

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
I actually purchased some toobz when I reentered the hobby. A bunch of different sizes. They sit in the back-right corner of an old boot box I use to store slinging elastics. I see them there sometimes, all coiled-up. Probably no good after all this time. Still, I'm glad I found out how slow they were before I opened any of the packages. I'm sure that would have hastened their disintegration. :D

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually purchased some toobz when I reentered the hobby. A bunch of different sizes. They sit in the back-right corner of an old boot box I use to store slinging elastics. I see them there sometimes, all coiled-up. Probably no good after all this time. Still, I'm glad I found out how slow they were before I opened any of the packages. I'm sure that would have hastened their disintegration. :D
If they're kept out of the sun they should last indefinitely.
If you need someone to use them up for you, I'm in the book!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I just like to add that I think one of the main reasons 2040s are an effective tube set for me is because they last so long. What I mean to say is the longevity contributes to consistency which contributes in Turn to accuracy.

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts