Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
I like clay balls. They shatter upon impact, giving me better POI indication. I have gone through about 12 thousand so far. We used to make those ourselves for bird hunting when we were kids.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
60 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
I have been shooting 3/8" clay balls since beginning. 12 thousands balls have been fired in my backyard alone so far. Two weeks of sheltering at home I found myself going through those balls several times faster than usual. I reckon it may be time to go to steel balls. With good catcher and magnetic pickup tool, I think I can recover at least 90% of the ammo. Steel is about 4 times of clay in price. Probably I can save money in the long run.

Besides steel balls may come handy in case things go south fast.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

-TL

· Registered
60 Posts
I use this for plinking around: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KT4SZXV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It's 12mm decent size ammo, flys pretty true for the weight. Returns back to nature as dirt, so no harm no foul. Just an option.

I just came across those the other day and will be getting some. I really like the idea of 1/2" clay compared to the regular 3/8".
They are so worth it. The 3/8 to me was just a bit small and strayed off Target.

You are right. Tried 1/2" clay balls. They do seem to shoot straighter and hit harder. It is a keeper.

I also have some 3/8" steel balls on order. Will see how it goes to determine our future ammo "policy".

-TL

· Registered
60 Posts
The steel should be even better. It has higher density, hence higher ballistic coefficient. It certainly has more consistent spherical shape than clay balls. We will see. With good recapturing arrangements steel may even be as affordable as clay.

-TL

· Registered
60 Posts
Or 3000 steel balls for $53. I don't want to buy that many, because I plan to recapture most of them. 500 steel balls should last as long as 3000 clay balls.

If I can recover 80%, I will still have more than 100 balls left after going through the balls 6 times or 3000 shots, so it can be more economical than shooting disposable clay balls.

-TL

· Registered
60 Posts
I plan to rig up a cardboard box trap with hanging t-shirt as backing. The paper target backed by cardboard or soft skin metal can will be hung in front of the fabric backing. Probably not much steel balls will shatter hitting those. I will see. Probably 500 balls will last me long enough.

-TL

· Registered
60 Posts
I have shot both. The 3/8" is lighter and tends to have more variation in shape. It is expected as it is much cheaper per ball. They tends to be more sensitive to cross wind, so shooting indoor gets better results. I don't get to shoot indoor so I need to more conscious of the wind, which is a training in itself.

The 1/2" is more consistent in shape for more than double the price per ball. It is better ballistically, so it is doing better outdoor. I believe it also has higher "muzzle energy". The ball is bigger. It may feel funny with a small pouch.

I like the 1/2", but I will still buy 3/8" for it's low price. I will try out the 3/8" steel balls. If it works out, I actually may stop buying the 1/2" clay, and stay with 3/8" clay and steel.

-TL

· Registered
60 Posts
I tried 1/4" clay balls. It is a bit too small for me to maintain proper pouch hold. My thumb and index finger hold on to the extremes of the diameter sort of tangentially. 3/8" is just right.

-TL

· Registered
60 Posts
Rigged up a simple trap with cardboard box and tried out the 3/8". I took 10 balls and aimed at a paper target 10yd out. I shot 10 times, each time in between I tried what my eye balls could do to recover the balls. I got 6 balls after the sequence. I'm glad that my recovery rate is better than 95%. With a magnetic pick up tool I think I can go even higher. So it has been decided, 3/8" steel and clay for me. 1/2" clay will take a break.

How well it shot? Here is the target after well over 50 shots. I think I got better accuracy than a pistol, at 10yd mind you.

-TL
72f6aababb72f549bb011ea009a67373.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.