Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A collector recently commissioned a slingshot made from Macassar ebony. I have not worked with this wood before and I learned a lot in doing so, not so much from the effort of working with the wood, but obtaining it. It appears that Macassar is becoming a rare commodity and prices are soaring. There are a few species that are similar and are being sold for macassar prices but not actually macassar. Every time I found a piece of wood that was to my liking, it wound up being around $80/bf and often the boards contained multiple board feet. The very nicest piece i found was $300, not including shipping. Needless to say, I did not purchase it. I finally found a small piece with very nice color and grain. I had to book match it to get a board wide enough for a slingshot.

The core is dyed birch with maple and zebrawood layers. The slingshot was infused with an oil mix under vacuum and then hand polished.
It was a pleasure to work with, though on the very dense side. If you ever come across it, buy it if the price is right, there may not be much more available.

· "Crafter"
1,827 Posts
Unreal work Nathan! Would the collector mind if u divulged the price of this show piece considering the material costs.. ? I have never had any true ebony , but have worked with a lot of African Blackwood (African ebony ) which is similar I belive very dense almost waxy wood yet finished so pure .... love this though the collector is very lucky .

· Super Moderator
7,198 Posts
Wow Bud, you even outdid yourself on this one. Totally excellent through and through. The buyer will be stunned! Flatband

· Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I will not publicly disclose what the buyer paid. He recognizes quality and I provide it.

Besides, I was not offering this slingshot for sale or otherwise, I was only wishing to share my experience with a new material and the final outcome. I suppose my vendorship status negates me from making 'homemade' slingshots, I hope this only applies to me and not the other talented vendors here who want to show off the works they make for others. We all love slingshots and are all proud of our work, vendor or not.

Macassar is a great slingshot material- strong, beautiful, and relatively easy to work. If you get a chance to try it, go for it!!

896 Posts
You are right, worked with macassar ebony before. I had a very hard time finding a piece large and cheap enough...it sees the trees are not very big too, so wide boards are rare anyway.
I bought a smaller piece then which i wanted to use for some palmswells.
I think the wood is very easy and fun to work with.

Neddless to say that your Slingshot is absolutely beautiful.

· "Mighty Can Smiter"
4,166 Posts
Andy made my *Godfather* out of Macassar.. and he told me i was a pain in the arse to make it... it is a beautiful piece of wood..

This slingshot you made is a beauty and I am sure the owner will be very pleased with it... if not.. I dont mind getting handmedowns

Good Job

LGD

· Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
956 Posts
Hey, I just noticed the new chop! Quite cool. Is it burned in with a heated iron, or pressed in then inked? That could be cool filled with a contrasting color too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.