Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
A lady friend of mine who lives a couple doors down from me began to show an interest in slingshots a few weeks back. Her daughter and my son are little buddies (both 6) so we take the kids to the park a lot together. My son always brings his slingshot and some clays to plink whatever he finds at the playground, & soon his little companion wanted a slingshot of her own. So I fashioned her a traditional natural with some nice yellow Pecise flats and about 100 clay balls. Likely needless to say, they've been having a riot trashing pop cans, McDonalds toys, bottle caps and whatever else they can with their slings! Well since I *always have mine and a bag of shot of some kind with me, mama bear felt a little left out! So I said, "Look here, Id be happy to make you one and teach you how to shoot - but nothing chaps my ass like making something for someone and then it collecting dust." She replied - nearly hurt - "Not a chance. I plan on getting better than you."

Confidence? Check. Attitude? Check. Equipment? Absent.

I went back to the bench fo have a look at what naturals I had, as she said she much preferred the natural look to HDPE or board cuts. I cut her some long draw (she already played with some of my frames and is definitely a natural butterfly shooter) 8" OG TBG bands in 3/4" straights. It's running one of my homemade pouches and rides in a matching leather holster I got ages back from the Wish app and modified to fit this frame. I filled the pouch with 1/2" clay balls and presented it to her with a cold can of Pepsi which she promptly emptied and mangled - much to my joy! I imagine this could even been posted in homemade slingshots but I actually wanted to make a thread on the following question:

When you make a kit for a new shooter, what have you included and how has it worked out? What other goodies do you guys like to throw in or offer? Before anyone says something - I tried giving her safety glasses - I really did. She wasn't having any of it lol. I'll get a pic and some video of her shooting on my channel in the next few days.

Oh well, at least she's a big fan of clay & not marbles or steel lol!

Hand Arm Human body Wood Headgear

Wood Tool Natural material Plywood Hardwood

Plant Wood Shoulder plane Tool Rebate plane

Tool Wood Bicycle part Hand tool Composite material

Attachments

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much and yeah I hoped she'd listen she did give them a go she just couldn't get comfortable with them. She said they threw her off an she couldn't focus on her shooting.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks very much to all you guys, I went over this morning and she was having a coffee and beating on a telephone pole across the street. She was holding a respectable 15" group and having fun playing with longer ranges, she asked me to teach her to make clay ammo as she was running low and wanted to know how. I'm stunned honestly, I've had few new shooters take to slings like she has. What's more, she's not putting it on. To clarify, we really are just friends. We both have health issues and check on each other regularly and have coffee almost every morning. She used to work with my girlfriend so we've known each other for some time & the three of us regularly hang out. I have to say, she's quite the shot.

No credit to the teacher, I just showed her how to Hussey it & she took it and ran with it. She's spoken of an interest in hunting in the past, although I'm not sure how my woman would feel about me taking another woman to the woods to 'shoot off a few balls'.

Okay that was dirtier than I intended - we're all grown ups here LOL.

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
She used to work with my girlfriend so we've known each other for some time & the three of us regularly hang out. I have to say, she's quite the shot.
The volatility potential expressed in the preceding statement almost resulted in a trow soiling. May God have mercy on your soul, you brave, brave man. :whisper:

She's spoken of an interest in hunting in the past...
She's hunting right now Hoss... :wub:

Splendid rig Chef. :)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She used to work with my girlfriend so we've known each other for some time & the three of us regularly hang out. I have to say, she's quite the shot.
The volatility potential expressed in the preceding statement almost resulted in a trow soiling. May God have mercy on your soul, you brave, brave man. :whisper:

She's spoken of an interest in hunting in the past...
She's hunting right now Hoss... :wub:

Splendid rig Chef. :)
Hulla you are by far the funniest dude on this forum LOL. "She's hunting right now Hoss" I'm dead over here hahaha. Thanks for the laugh and the kind words my friend!

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,156 Posts
One other small piece of kit I thought of @ BushpotChef, if she ever gets into shooting steel or BBs, you can pick up one of those magnetic Ammo rings to help hold the ammo , so she isn't dropping it all over the place like I do, LOL....and try a little harder to convince her that safety glasses are a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a lot AKA & Al E.M. !

@SLING-N-DUDE That's a great idea I actually was thinking about making her a little bb shooter earlier today, maybe a mini kestrel she thinks they're exotic looking lol. As fr the glasses she's looking into a stylish set for herself online, she actually much care what they look like but she's not lying when she says they screw with her shooting. She takes a visible dip in accuracy when she puts them on, & it doesn't help that I don't wear them when I shoot slingshots. I know all the dangers but the fact is my accuracy takes an absolute nose dive when I put them on. I never advocate not wearing them to new shooters and my son is forbidden to shoot without them, but I'd be lying if I said I use the myself. Airguns and powder burners I always have them on, same with power tools.

But slingshots? Nope. I know, shame on me lol.

Reactions: AKA Forgotten
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.