Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello folks... Awesome forum you have here, and some really nice slingshots!

Well, I haven't shot or owned a slingshot since I was about 15 or so, it was a store bought wrist rocket. Well the other day I was at my sister in laws birthday party.... I looked out the window and saw one of her friends walk by with what I thought was a sling, as I saw no frame. It turned out he had a "finger shooter" he made. He had looped some thin rubber many times through a pouch, doubled it over and looped it around his pointer finger and thumb. He told me its very common in El Salvador (his home country), was very good at shooting it, and I believe him when he says he used to hunt birds and rabbits with it.

Well I decided I wanted to give it a go... So I proceeded to shoot myself in the knuckle about 10 times, after probably fracturing my finger I got off one good shot. He asked me if I wanted one and got his role of rubber and a new pouch for me. After shooting myself again I decided to put my new toy away... Then I came home and went to youtube and found Joerg. Wow! I immediately went out and found a good piece of oak and started to whittle it down, after an hour or so I came up with this! For being very unsymmetrical it shoots pretty straight!

I probably shouldn't have cut up the finger shooter, but I won't ever try it again. My knuckle is still rocked today, and probably will hurt for the next month or so. I look forward to trying to make a few more with the help of this forum.

What do you all think of the individual cords? Probably not the best for an accurate even shot?

EDIT: I just noticed as this piece seems to be drying it has some slight cracking throughout it. Oak isn't a good choice? My uncle has a cherry tree, I was thinking of trying that next.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That is a good looking slingshot!
im not sure about the cracks in the slingshot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a good looking slingshot!
im not sure about the cracks in the slingshot.
Thanks, it shoots really well, and just as strong as the daisy I just bought. I've tried to break it with my hands, and I just can't. But I still can't help but almost look away when I pull it back!

I'm hoping the ones pictures with the bark will dry better, they were cut down a few months back. So they're pretty seasoned already as it is.

I'm also in the process of making a metal catch box for target shooting from an old cabinet. I want to head to home depot later to get some eye bolts and a long handle bolt. Anyone know if a normal crafts store will have fimo?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i have the same problem with cracks. henry in panama told me about how he boils his naturals in salt water right after he cuts the branch an strips the bark off

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I have used the micro to dry them, i have tossed them in the trunk of my car for a couple of months, both work well, I usually only get cracks at the cuts but since I cut them really long thats no problem, never tried the salt water boil but I hear it works well...

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I have used the micro to dry them, i have tossed them in the trunk of my car for a couple of months, both work well, I usually only get cracks at the cuts but since I cut them really long thats no problem, never tried the salt water boil but I hear it works well...
I posted a salt boiled fork that Dayhiker made. It works and works well. There are a few others that have done so, as well as the micro-dry method, also. Best tip is above: "cut them really long"

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I love the look of natural forks. Also curious about finger shooters I think I will make one but a bit more technical so the fingers dont get hit. see my Glove Shooter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm interested in the finger shooter, but I like the natural forks and I wouldn't worry about the Oak, it's one of the hardest woods there is; also, kudos on the multi-bands, I like the style and I bet it's easy to shoot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you all want to know about the finger shooter? My knuckle still hurts, and I took it apart to use the bands for my cracking oak frame!

I could tie a single band and show you how he was using it? Or better yet I could film him shooting it? It really was pretty impressive... He told me he prefers the fingers because he kept breaking the wood ones he made. Not because he made it wrong (or dried it wrong I'm now guessing), but because his fingers are stronger than any wood in the world.
haha...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts