Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was shooting into my new catchbox with high tech magnetic ball collector. Found a stray clay ball on the floor and shot it. Missed the target so it survived. Go to retrieve it and it seemed to be sticking to the magnet. Took out a couple more and dropped them on the magnet and they stuck! Said something that the forum won't allow me to write and tried it again. Same result. I assure you there is no trickery involved in the picture. I had noticed that after a clay ball shatters, there is sometimes a surviving BB sized core. That must be some sort of metal dust used as the base for the clay. I'm curious about how these are produced and a little scared at what they contain! If anyone has access to clay balls and a magnet, please give it a try and let me know if your balls stick! :neener:

Wood Floor Flooring Table Hardwood

Attachments

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's magnetic, it must contain some form of iron. I have no idea what else they have in them or how it's produced but I have seen clay slingshot ammo marketed as being magnetic. Somehow you acquired a few of these balls. The clay ammo I bought recently is not affected by a magnet.

Link to example of magnetic clay slingshot ammo -

https://www.amazon.com/TOPARCHERY-Diameter-Slingshot-Magnetic-Biodegradable/dp/B07L572PGB
Thanks for that link SLINGDUDE. That looks like the clay balls I have.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Are the magnetic ones any heavier?

Reactions: skarrd

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've had a good number from the same batch be magnetic. I always thought they probably just picked up some tiny pieces of iron or there was magnetite/hematite in the dirt they are made from. Out here the soil is full of magnetic black sand that you have to deal with when prospecting for gold and such.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
We have a ton of the magnetic black sand in our back yard- figured it out when the kids were little and had a magnet outside. I haven't looked for gold but have heard about a link between black sand and gold. And I always wonder about it when I see black sand rich piles in stream beds when we are out exploring in the wilderness. Is there a good relationship between the black sand and gold?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If I can find a way to retire I think adding a gold pan to my backpack might fit the bill for entertaining myself for a while. A few days out in beautiful places with a slingshot and a gold pan might and a camera might be a great way to spend some time. Have thought about it but not really looked into at all. Enough to know it would be for entertainment and not $, but not much more than that. But as soon as I can fund my retirement....

·
Registered
463 Posts
There were several good spots in the Gila ; Chloride , Hillsboro , Winston to name a few and lots of others but don't expect to get rich with rising costs of fuel etc. Gold may increase in dollars but dollar value decreases faster. Get a dry washer or learn to dry pan , both are necessary in the desert. This c
Gas Gadget Electric blue Cuisine Metal
ame out of the San Pedros

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
There were several good spots in the Gila ; Chloride , Hillsboro , Winston to name a few and lots of others but don't expect to get rich with rising costs of fuel etc. Gold may increase in dollars but dollar value decreases faster. Get a dry washer or learn to dry pan , both are necessary in the desert. This came out of the San Pedros
Gold panning would really just be another excuse to get out and spend time in beautiful places. And if I happen to entertain myself by finding a few flakes or a bit of dust so much the better. Getting close to retiring and hoping to get to it in a few years.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gold panning would really just be another excuse to get out and spend time in beautiful places. And if I happen to entertain myself by finding a few flakes or a bit of dust so much the better. Getting close to retiring and hoping to get to it in a few years.
Consider another alternative , metal detecting. There is more gold laying in the public parks in the form of jewelry than in the hills in the form of nuggets, and silver as well.
Audio equipment Electronic instrument Wood Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
876 Posts
I also find that clay ammo is slightly magnetic.

Reactions: skarrd

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,162 Posts
So I was shooting into my new catchbox with high tech magnetic ball collector. Found a stray clay ball on the floor and shot it. Missed the target so it survived. Go to retrieve it and it seemed to be sticking to the magnet. Took out a couple more and dropped them on the magnet and they stuck! Said something that the forum won't allow me to write and tried it again. Same result. I assure you there is no trickery involved in the picture. I had noticed that after a clay ball shatters, there is sometimes a surviving BB sized core. That must be some sort of metal dust used as the base for the clay. I'm curious about how these are produced and a little scared at what they contain! If anyone has access to clay balls and a magnet, please give it a try and let me know if your balls stick! :neener:

View attachment 272152
Steve, that looks like some of the same batch or type that you sent me a sampling of a while back.
If so, I also noticed it was magnetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts