Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ordered a 10pack for under $6 on amazon myself: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084NYLVTD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've decided to shoot 5/16" ammo as it's larger than the freebies I started out with and feel it's already larger than what I was use to.

I also saw a youtuber using a magnet attached to paracord carabiner for belt loop clipping, I thought this was a great idea and picked up more magnets at the local Harbor Freight to simply tie onto a cheap carabiner that can double duty to retrieve out of my catch boxes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up some magnets at a Harbor Freight.

1st attempt was simply removing the screw hook and slipped cord through. I watched a quick vid on snake knots and thought to try that as a way to fasten carabiners at different lengths.

Horizontally resting, these magnets secured about 30 pieces of 5/16" steel ammo. Bathed in ammo, I could attach about 80.

Light Material property Electric blue Metal Fashion accessory
Wood Hardwood Circle Wood stain Metal

Thinking it may be more ergonomic to pull ammo from a vertically positioned magnet, I rigged a v2&v3. After removing the outer casing and just having the doughnut magnet, one can simply latch it to a carabiner for easy mobility.

Wood Hardwood Metal Art Fashion accessory
Light Wood Gas Hardwood Metal

I like the lanyard system and since several have mentioned neck lanyards, I wanted to make one long enough to loop around the neck and include a few snake knots with 1-2" gaps between them. The beauty of the staggered knotting allows this to:

1. used around neck

2. adjustable length attachment to a carabiner

3. loop through a belt loop and feed a snake knot between the gaps, treating it as a button hole. It was surprisingly secure and best of all, leaving the slack outside of the button hole gap allowed for an easy release, dislodging the snake-knot-button.

Wood Knot Jewellery Rope Needle-nose pliers

Caveat, accidental grabbing of too many can result in ammo raining to the floor so I think a finger/ring magnet is a perfect companion to something like this.

Any questions or tips to improve on this welcome.

Looking forward to field testing these hacks and a couple more slingshot purchases off amazon by the weekend. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a chance to use my magnetic rin

I picked up some magnets at a Harbor Freight.

1st attempt was simply removing the screw hook and slipped cord through. I watched a quick vid on snake knots and thought to try that as a way to fasten carabiners at different lengths.

Horizontally resting, these magnets secured about 30 pieces of 5/16" steel ammo. Bathed in ammo, I could attach about 80.

attachicon.gif
magnet.png
attachicon.gif
v1.png

Thinking it may be more ergonomic to pull ammo from a vertically positioned magnet, I rigged a v2&v3. After removing the outer casing and just having the doughnut magnet, one can simply latch it to a carabiner for easy mobility.

attachicon.gif
v2.1.png
attachicon.gif
v3.1.png

I like the lanyard system and since several have mentioned neck lanyards, I wanted to make one long enough to loop around the neck and include a few snake knots with 1-2" gaps between them. The beauty of the staggered knotting allows this to:

1. used around neck

2. adjustable length attachment to a carabiner

3. loop through a belt loop and feed a snake knot between the gaps, treating it as a button hole. It was surprisingly secure and best of all, leaving the slack outside of the button hole gap allowed for an easy release, dislodging the snake-knot-button.

attachicon.gif
v3.3.png

Caveat, accidental grabbing of too many can result in ammo raining to the floor so I think a finger/ring magnet is a perfect companion to something like this.

Any questions or tips to improve on this welcome.

Looking forward to field testing these hacks and a couple more slingshot purchases off amazon by the weekend. :)

Little project I put together tonight. used the band from a cheapie magnetic ring for a pattern and made my own. Used thin goat skin for the band a Chicago screw to hold it together, a neodymium magnet and some latex tubing to take up the space between the screw and the magnet. It holds 6 X 7/16 ammo quite well and is a different way to manage your ammo :)

I wear it on the palm side of my drawing hand and can "roll" a round off the magnet and into the pouch pretty easily and I am sure I will get better with pratice :)
I had a chance to use the Amazon magnetic ring bands over the weekend, I do like them a lot. The best deployment for me is to fasten between the 1st & 2nd knuckle (fingertip side) on my middle finger so that my thumb easily reaches. Running across a larger magnetic holder or ammo pouch, it picks up about 3 at a time. I still drop ammo off the larger magnet (hanging off a lanyard, whenever my body brushes it, or it bumps along when walking), which is annoying, so I'm still looking for a more traditional bag. I've repurposed a dog treat/bag dispenser, which is actually the best solution so far, but would like to try a large mouth chalk bag or something. (wife uses it to hold clay ammo)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.