Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought these cheapo frames and for the life of me couldn't shoot them since they are either too small and/or twist in my hand. I've used polymorph to make bike stands and magnetic knife sheaths in the past. The stuff is amazing since you only need to heat/mold//cool and can reuse it forever. I used hot water to heat mine and a jet lighter to smooth some patched on pieces; I hear a heatgun might work better. The white goes clear when hot so is easy to see what's inside. I also added black and green pigment to some which isn't too hard if you mix it in a plastic bag. I don't know what plastic it is but it reminds me of very strong PET or polypropylene when cool. It can be drilled, but I haven't tried sanding it. It has a very long (5 minutes?) working time so I used an icewater bath to lock in the shapes. You can buy this stuff off ebay/aliexpress and probably arts/craft stores.

Anyway the key to accuracy is to not have a frame twist in your grip and the key to comfort is spreading the load across as much of your hand as possible. This stuff would make the best bicycle grips. Took 1-2 hours to make these 3. Probably 500g of material for all 3 frames. These are not pretty but shoot dramatically better within the first 10 shots and of course the comfort can't be better since they fit my hand exactly. I'm sure these could become my most accurate frames, but I still love my PP Hathcock and Taurus OTT. What's nice is if i'm not happy I can graft on more or heat it all, strip it off, and start over. With a lot of time/patience you could probably make an entire frame out of this material but I prefer fast band attachments which is why I bought these cheapo frames initially.

20200519-025906.jpg
20200519-025917.jpg
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg
b5.jpg
b6.jpg
g1.jpg
g2.jpg
g3.jpg
g4.jpg
g5.jpg
w1.jpg
w2.jpg
w3.jpg
w4.jpg
w5.jpg

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
That was a good call on that. Someone here (Angelo, was that you?) was using the stuff to make entire shooters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes it comes in those beads mostly clear and white, but you can search colors to mix into it.

This is good stuff to have around the house. Again nothing pretty, but I put a magnet into the plastic and use it as a knife stand/sheath. The bike stand is just a giant version molded around my rim and tire. My toaster has a very strong timer spring so I threw some on so I can turn it off easier.

20200520-024556.jpg 20200520-024606.jpg 20200520-025017.jpg

·
Registered
962 Posts
Cool, Thanks for sharing. How are your slingshot modifications shooting? Have you made any targets or spinners out of this stuff?

These would work great for the anything goes sling shot of the month competition.(ssotm)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not as accurate with loop bands yet but the stainless/green flatband frame seems good. I'm going to reshape it so it's more vertical in my grip though.

Never thought to make targets since I have the silicones, fake leather, and steel ones. I doubt it would hold up to steel ammo but you can always reuse it so maybe it would be cool to have a thin bird or rodent profile and see where you punch holes in it. I shoot rubber balls indoors so some animal spinners might be good later.

·
aka CYBORG
1,988 Posts
Former member Lee Silva worked with this a lot. Thanks for the tut.

Reactions: hoggy

·
Registered
962 Posts
I got the polymorph last night. Yeah! Im going to try and play with it soon. Ill keep you posted on the outcome. I looked up what you can do to it, google says you can paint it with latex paint, drill into it, carve//sand it, and reuse it indefensibly.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey, I messed around with this stuff and it seems limitless. Oh the possibilities. Its easy to use and not sticks or messy/smelly. I didnt make anything picture worthy, yet but my clogs are turning. I got 250 grams from ebay for 20$ after tax and shipping. 250grams is enough for two small handles or on e very large handle. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 26 Posts