Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make more slingshots and i thought of plastic, so i went on youtube and found a video of a guy making a slinghots from buckets. He would melt them down and create blocks of plastic and then cut the slingshots out and all that stuff.

I wanted to try this, but have any of you done this before? Any tips would be appreciated.

btw, i have only made one slingshot before from wood, but I didnt even put a band on it.

Also how do you guys make your slingshots? What kind of materials do you use?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yep, I have used a lot of different materials, everything from natural forks to pvc. A lot depends on what tools you have. Natural forks are usually the best place for people to start as they are naturally strong.

I have melted down hdpe from buckets and it is very time consuming. Nice results, but if you are just starting out I would just buy hpde sheets. Starboard is hdpe and would work great.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It may be advisable to stay away from melting plastics: I'm thinking fire hazard, toxic fumes, and other rather unpleasant surprises.

Birch plywood with a minimum thickness of 3/4 of an inch is probably the way to go to start with: a jigsaw, a rasp, files, sandpaper (coarse & fine grit) and some form of wood finish are all you'll need. Have a look at the wide choice of templates on this forum for such a project.

You can usually find remnants anywhere they sell and cut various kinds of woods. Back in 2014, I posted a video on the various making stages involved - check it out here (it's a shade long, but informative...):

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Many of us have done a lot of HDPE slingshots over the years. I have a few videos, You'llShootYourEyeOut has a few, Can-Opener (Randy Knapp) has a few. Watch them all and you will realize it is not that hard. The tricky part is when you want to shape them. The simplest way is with a router, a tool that you may not have and requires a lot of seasoned experience watching over you while you learn how to use it. You can also shape it with hand tools, but the finish is very hard to obtain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts